How do I assign a graded discussion to a course section?
When creating or editing a graded discussion, you can assign a graded discussion to a specific course section. Availability date functionality is still available for each graded discussion.
Only the section(s) specified in the discussion details can view the graded discussion.
When using differentiated assignments with the Gradebook, the graded discussion appears as a column for all students, but grade cells are grayed out for students who have not been included in the discussion. Grades cannot be assigned for students who have not been included in the graded discussion, and graded discussions that are not assigned to a student are not factored into overall grades.
When Multiple Grading Periods are enabled in a course, assignments are also respected against closed grading periods.
Enter Grading Details
Assign to Section
By default, Canvas will set your assignment for everyone in your course. To create the assignment for a specific section, click the Everyone remove icon , then start to type in the name of a section . When the section name appears, click the name. Lists are not scrollable.
You can include more than one section in the To field as long as the section is to be assigned the same due and availability dates.
Edit Due and Availability Dates
In the date fields, add your preferred date(s) with the following options:
- Due : Set the date and time that the Assignment is due. The due date will already be populated for you if you created an assignment shell, but you can change it if necessary.
- Available From : Set the date and time when the Assignment will become available.
- Until : Set the date and time when the Assignment will no longer be available.
Note: Beneath the Due Date and Availability date fields, Canvas will display the time zone date and time according to context. If you manage courses in a time zone other than your local time zone and create or edit a due date for an assignment, the course and local times are displayed for reference.
Add Additional Dates
Save and Publish
If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button . If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button .
View Due Date Warning
If you do not add course sections to the assignment, you will see a warning message asking you if you want to add those sections.
You can click the Continue button  if you don't want to add any sections to the assignment, or click the Go Back button  to go back and add additional sections.
Note: This warning message will not appear if Everyone or all course sections are assigned to the assignment.
View Date Error
If you submit an invalid string of due dates and try to save the assignment, Canvas generates an error notification. Such invalid entries include not unlocking the assignment before it is due, not placing the due date inside the range of availability dates, or assigning a date that is outside the course or term dates.
Correct the date and then update the assignment again.
- If the course does not include specified course start and end dates, Canvas validates the graded discussion against the term date set for the course.
- If your course is using Multiple Grading Periods, the Assign field validates the due date against the closed grading period and requires the discussion due date to be past the date of the closed grading period.