How do I use the Course Activity Stream?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). This lesson may include two images for specific steps to show the difference between the two designs. Unless otherwise indicated, the functionality and location of the components remain the same. The view available to you is determined by your institution.
The Course Activity Stream shows you important recent activities from a single course including announcements, discussions, assignments, and conversations. This stream is similar to the Activity Stream on the Dashboard when you first log in to Canvas.
The following activities will cause notifications to appear in the Course Activity Stream:
- New Announcements
- Replies to Announcements
- New Discussions
- New Discussion Posts
- New Assignments
- Assignments, Quizzes, or Discussions Changed from Ungraded to Graded
- Due Date Changes to Assignments, Quizzes, and Discussions
- New Graded Assignments
- New Peer Review Assignments
- New Conversation Messages
- Notifications in the Course Activity Stream will not appear for activity in Files, Collaborations, Grades, Pages, or Conferences; ungraded quizzes and surveys; or edits to Discussions.
- Edits to Quizzes and Assignments will only appear in the Course Activity Stream when the Notify users that this content has changed button has been selected.
- If your Course Home Page is already set to view the course stream, the View Course Stream link does not appear in the course sidebar.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course .
View Course Activity
When viewing the course stream, you can view all recent notifications in the course, including announcements, discussions, assignments, and conversations. This activity stream helps you see all recent activity in your course and easily ask questions and post to discussion forums.
You can manage Recent Activity in a course the same way you can on the Dashboard. Activities are indicated by activity type and display an icon  for the activity. New or unread activities are shown by a blue indicator dot next to the notification. Recent Activity items remain for four weeks.
You can view the details of each activity by hovering in the notification area and clicking the Show More link .
Note: To receive notifications for Discussions, users must actively post in the discussions at least once every two weeks. If a user stops participating in a discussion after two weeks, Canvas will no longer display discussion notifications.