PowerSchool Integration Overview
Canvas developed an automated infrastructure integration with PowerSchool using APIs made available from SIF agent 2.0. The APIs allow PowerSchool to share rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post grades back to PowerSchool.
This article gives an overview of the Canvas and PowerSchool integration.
The SIF integration works bi-directionally:
- PowerSchool to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in PowerSchool (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SIS's SIF 2.0 API to Canvas.
- Canvas to PowerSchool Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using SIF 2.0 API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to PowerSchool.
Note: SIF agent provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
PowerSchool Integration Prerequisites
Before implementing the PowerSchool/Canvas integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's SIF 2.0 credentials from PowerSchool. These credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your SIF credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the PowerSchool integration.
Known PowerSchool Integration Limitation
Parent accounts cannot be crated using PowerSchool provisioning.
If you are interested in enabling the PowerSchool Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.