Skyward Integration Overview
Instructure supports a SIS integration with Skyward Student Information System (SIS). The integration uses the Skyward API.
The Instructure Skyward integration allows Skyward to sync rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post assignments and assignment grades back to the Skyward gradebook.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The Skyward API integration works bi-directionally:
- Skyward to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in Skyward (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from Skyward to Canvas.
- Canvas to Skyward Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using the Skyward API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to the Skyward gradebook.
Note: Skyward API provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
Before implementing the Instructure Skyward integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's Skyward API credentials from Skyward. These Skyward API credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your Skyward API credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the Skyward integration.
If you are interested in enabling the Skyward Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.