Q Student Information System Solutions Integration Overview
Canvas and Q Student Information System (SIS), by Aequitas Solutions, Inc., have an automated integration between the two systems using APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. The APIs allow Q to share rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post grades back to Q.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The OneRoster integration works bi-directionally:
- Q SIS to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in Q (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SIS's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas.
- Canvas to Q SIS Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using OneRoster 1.1 API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to the Q gradebook.
Note: OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
Q SIS and Canvas Integration Prerequisites
Before implementing the Q/Canvas integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Q. These OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your OneRoster credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the Q integration.
If you are interested in enabling the Q SIS Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.