How do I add a Profile picture?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). This lesson may include two images for specific steps to show the difference between the two designs. Unless otherwise indicated, the functionality and location of the components remain the same. The view available to you is determined by your institution.
If your institution has enabled profile pictures, you can add and change profile pictures in your account.
Tips for profile pictures:
- Please choose an appropriate picture to represent yourself. Your institution has the right to remove pictures that are not appropriate for a classroom setting.
- Images should be square in size to prevent your picture from being resized or distorted.
- Files can be any type (.jpg, .png, .gif) or size as long as you have room in your personal files to store the file. Canvas recommends that your profile picture be as small as possible.
- Your personal files quota is enforced when uploading a profile picture. If you do not have enough storage space in your personal files, you will not be able to upload your profile picture. Create more space by removing some files in your personal files.
Note: These steps only apply to accounts with profile pictures enabled. If you do not see a placeholder picture, your institution has not enabled this feature.
Open User Settings
Click Placeholder Profile Picture
On the Personal Settings page, click the placeholder profile picture icon. A dialog box will open.
Note: If you don't see a placeholder profile picture icon, your institution does not allow you to add or change your profile picture.
Select Profile Picture
There are three ways you can select a profile picture to use throughout Canvas:
- Upload a Picture from your computer
- Take a Picture using your computer's camera
- Import from an existing Gravatar account
Note: The Take a Picture option is not supported when using Safari or Internet Explorer.
Upload a Picture
To upload a new Profile picture, click the Upload a Picture tab , then click the choose a picture link . You can also drag a picture from your desktop and drop it into the uploader.
Note: Canvas will automatically store a copy of the saved profile picture in your personal files. When a new picture is saved in your profile, the new picture will override the existing picture file in your personal files.
Choose Profile Picture
Crop or Resize Picture
You can tell how much space you have remaining by returning to your personal Settings, opening Files, and checking the storage used amount .
Take a Picture
To take a picture to use as your profile picture, click the Take a Picture tab , then click the Take Picture button .
Note: Depending on your browser, you may need to allow Canvas to access your camera. The Take a Picture option is not supported when using Safari or Internet Explorer.
If you have a Gravatar account, you can import an existing Gravatar to use as your profile picture.
Click the From Gravatar tab  and enter your Gravatar email address in the field provided . Click the Preview button to view your Gravatar. When you are finished, click the Save button .
Note: Before adding a photo in your Gravatar account, you will have to rate the photo. Please note that only G-rated Gravatar photos can be displayed as a Canvas profile picture.
View Profile Picture
Delete Profile Picture
Profile pictures are linked to your personal files, so you can easily delete them to remove old profile pictures.
Note: Gravatar images cannot be deleted from your account through your personal files. However, Gravatar images may be replaced with an uploaded image or with a captured image using the Take a Picture option.
Open Profile Pictures
Click the profile pictures folder.
Delete Profile Picture
Next to the file you want to delete , click the Settings icon  then click the Delete button .