How do I link to a YouTube video?
YouTube videos are automatically embedded in any feature that uses the Rich Content Editor. This lesson applies to the Announcement, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, and Syllabus features.
There are two different ways to link a YouTube video, depending on what you want it to look like:
- Insert Link into the Rich Content Editor (full link with embedded video)
- Insert Link with the Chain Link Icon (shortened link with optional embedded video)
Insert Link into Rich Content Editor
Open the Rich Content Editor using one of the Canvas features that support the Editor. Copy/paste the URL directly in the Rich Content Editor. Then press Enter (PC) or Return (MAC).
Click the Save button (for Pages).
Note: To save the YouTube link in other features:
- Click on Add New Announcement or Update Announcement (for Announcements).
- Click on Update Assignment (for Assignments).
- Click on Add New Topic or Update Topic (for Discussions).
- Click on Save Settings or Publish Quiz (for Quizzes).
- Click on Update Syllabus (for Syllabus).
Insert Link with Hyperlink icon
Open the Rich Content Editor using one of the Canvas features that support the Editor. Click the Chain icon to link to the YouTube URL.
Type or copy/paste the YouTube URL in the text box . By default, a small embedded image of the video will appear, showing the video you have selected. The link will also include a small thumbnail with an embedded video. Note: If you do not want to include the embedded video, click the Disable inline previews for this link checkbox . When you are ready to insert the video link into the Rich Content Editor, click the Insert Link button .
Verify the link. Using the link icon, Link appears under the YouTube™ logo . The link will still include a small thumbnail with an embedded video. You may see the link flash yellow the moment it is inserted and then turn blue, indicating it is a link.
Note: When you insert a YouTube video link and disable the inline preview, only the link will appear .