Troubleshooting Infinite Campus in Canvas for Instructors
Preparing Assignments in Canvas
How does the Infinite Campus Gradebook integration work with Canvas assignment groups?
As an instructor, all Canvas assignments sync to the Uncategorized section of the Infinite Campus Gradebook. You will have to move each assignment to the appropriate grading category in Infinite Campus.
How does Canvas choose which assignments are passed back to Infinite Campus?
Canvas passes back any assignment, graded discussion, or quiz that has the sync to SIS option enabled.
Additionally, Canvas assignments are also subject to the following details:
- Assignment names cannot be longer than 50 characters.
- Assignment names must be unique to be identified by Infinite Campus. A Canvas assignment with the same name as an assignment in Infinite Campus will not be updated to Infinite Campus with a grade sync.
- To sync an assignment to Infinite Campus, an assignment must have a due date.
- Infinite Campus does not support differentiated assignments. Differentiated Canvas assignments assigned to individual students or sections will not sync to Infinite Campus. Assignments must be assigned to everyone.
Where can I find additional help preparing assignments in Canvas for sync to Infinite Campus?
For help with SIS assignments, view the following Canvas Guides:
- How do I sync my course gradebook from Canvas to Infinite Campus SIS?
- How do I set up an assignment to be sent to my institution's student information system (SIS)?
- How do I set up a graded discussion to be sent to my institution's student information system (SIS)?
- How do I set up a quiz to be sent to my institution's student information system (SIS)?
- How do I edit an event or assignment in the Calendar?
How do I use the Canvas Gradebook
The Canvas Infinite Campus Gradebook integration passes grade information only one way: from Canvas to Infinite Campus. Any new assignments, grades, or grade changes should be added to your Canvas course gradebook first, then synced to your Infinite Campus gradebook. This best practice allows consistent data flow between systems and ensures accurate data in both systems.
Please be aware of the following behaviors in the Gradebook:
- Assignments scored with a decimal in Canvas (i.e. 10.5) display as a whole number in the Infinite Campus gradebook (i.e. 10). However, when you view the assignment details in Infinite Campus, the score displays with a decimal (i.e. 10.5).
- If you award more points than an assignments total points possible (i.e. giving a score of 30/20), both Canvas and Infinite Campus assign the extra points as extra credit.
- If you have the Attendance feature enabled in your course, this assignment data is not included in Infinite Campus grade syncs.
- If you have the Learning Mastery Gradebook enabled in your course, this data is not included in Infinite Campus grade syncs.
- Weighted assignment information in Canvas is not included in Infinite Campus grade syncs. To weight assignments in Infinite Campus, you must log in to Infinite Campus and manage assignments weights there.
- If an assignment is marked late in Canvas, this data is not included in Infinite Campus grade syncs.
- Assignment scores for hidden assignments are included in Infinite Campus grade syncs. If you do not want hidden assignment scores to display in Infinite Campus after a grade sync, turn off the sync to SIS option for the assignment.
Viewing Grades in Infinite Campus
How do I view grades from Canvas in Infinite Campus?
After you have requested a grade sync from Canvas to Infinite Campus, refresh Infinite Campus and open the gradebook.
Grade distribution is a one-way sync from Canvas to Infinite Campus:
- To change the name of an assignment that was synced from Canvas, you must edit the assignment name in Canvas and re-sync the Canvas gradebook to Infinite Campus.
- Assignments synced from Canvas are added to the Uncategorized section of the Infinite Campus Gradebook.
- To add or edit assignment scores for an assignment synced from Canvas, you must edit the assignment scores in Canvas and re-sync the Canvas gradebook to Infinite Campus. Any grades changed in Infinite Campus will be overwritten with the existing Canvas grade at the next sync.
- If you sync a Canvas assignment to Infinite Campus and later delete the assignment from Canvas, you must manually delete the assignment from Infinite Campus.