How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file folder?
If usage rights is enabled in your course, you can set usage rights for all files that currently exist within the folder. Folders themselves cannot hold a usage right attribute, so the folder passes the usage right to the existing files in the folder at the time the usage right was defined. Therefore, you can create a folder, add all files to the folder, and then define the usage right for the folder and apply the right to all files at once.
This action does not apply to any files added to the folder after the usage right is set. If additional files are added at a later time, you will have to reset the usage right for the folder or set file usage rights individually.
Note: Usage Rights is currently a course opt-in feature. To enable usage rights, learn how to manage feature options in the course features lesson.
In Course Navigation, click the Files link.
Manage Usage Rights
Click the line item for the folder . Click the Usage Rights icon . Or click the Options icon  and select the Manage Usage Rights link .
Select Usage Right
In the Usage Right drop-down menu , select one of five usage rights. If you are an instructor and are not sure which usage right applies to all the files in your folder, please consult your institutional admin for guidance:
- I hold the copyright (original content created by you)
- I have obtained permission to use the file (authorized permission by the author)
- The material is in the public domain (explicitly assigned to public domain, cannot be copyrighted, or is no longer protected by copyright)
- The material is subject to fair use exception (excerpt or summary used for commentary, news reporting, research, or analysis in education)
- The material is licensed under Creative Commons; this option also requires setting a specific Creative Commons license
If known, enter the copyright holder information in the Copyright Holder field .
Set Folder Access
You can also set access to all files in the folder. By default, all files are unpublished. You can also publish the folder or restrict access.
To select access to the files in the folder, click the radio button next to the access type.
Note: This action does not apply to any files added to the folder after the usage right is set. If additional files are added at a later time, you will have to reset the usage right for the folder or set file usage rights individually.
Click the Save button.
Click the name of the folder with the usage right.
View the usage right and status applied to all files in the folder.