How do I set up an assignment to be sent to ProgressBook for grade passback?
If your institution has set up Canvas grade passback (GPB) with ProgressBook, you can sync your Canvas course gradebook to your ProgressBook gradebook. However, you must first specify which assignment(s) in the course should be included in a GPB sync.
You can also specify which graded discussions and quizzes should be included in GPB sync.
- Only assignments added to imported ProgressBook grading categories are eligible for GPB.
- Once set up for SIS sync, you can manage synced items on the Assignment and Quizzes index pages. You can also turn off assignment sync for all assignments on the Assignments page.
- Your institution may select the SIS sync option automatically for each assignment. You can de-select assignments that you do not want to pass back to ProgressBook.
- Non-graded assignment types cannot be synced to ProgressBook.
In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
Click the Add Assignment button.
Alternatively, you can edit an existing assignment. To open the assignment, click the assignment name . Then on the assignment's details page, click the Edit button .
Add Assignment Name
Enter a name for the assignment in the Assignment Name field.
For GPB with ProgressBook to work, assignment names must be 30 or fewer characters.
Select Sync to SIS
On the assignment details page, select the Sync to SIS checkbox. The assignment and any student scores will be included when you sync your Canvas gradebook to ProgressBook.
- Your institution can auto-enable all assignments to be sent to ProgressBook. To exclude an assignment from SIS sync, de-select the Sync to SIS checkbox.
- The SIS checkbox also displays on quizzes and graded discussions details pages.
- The SIS checkbox does not display for non-graded assignment types.
- The Sync to SIS option may display the name of your institution's SIS.
Add Due Date
Enter a due date in the Due field .
Canvas supports differentiated assignment due dates. However, ProgressBook GPB requires a due date for the Assign to Everyone option .
Click the Save button .
Note: For new assignments, you can click the Save & Publish button .
View Assignment Errors
If you cannot save your assignment, view the assignment error messages.
Assignment names are required and they must be 30 or fewer characters . For ProgressBook GPB, due dates are required for the Assign to Everyone option .
Correct any errors and save the assignment.