ProgressBook Integration Overview
Canvas has developed an automated integration with ProgressBook using APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. The APIs allow ProgressBook to share rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post grades back to ProgressBook.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The OneRoster integration works bi-directionally:
- ProgressBook to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in ProgressBook (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SIS's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas.
- Canvas to ProgressBook Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using OneRoster 1.1 API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to the ProgressBook gradebook.
Note: OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
ProgressBook Integration Prerequisites
Before implementing the ProgressBook/Canvas integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's OneRoster 1.1 credentials from ProgressBook. These OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your OneRoster credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the ProgressBook integration.
If you are interested in enabling the ProgressBook Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.