How do I access the Canvas test environment as an admin?
In the test environment, you can test using your real data without messing up your live production environment. Here you can add users, change the CSS, and/or troubleshoot issues without ruining the experience for your users. The test environment is overwritten with data from the production environment every three weeks. You can configure your test environment with production-ready features, such as access to your institution's login authentication system.
If you want to keep up on the latest production features in Canvas, visit the Release Notes page in the Canvas Community.
The test environment is separate from the beta environment, which is overwritten with data from the production environment every week and allows you to explore new features before they reach production. Learn more about the different Canvas environments.
Notes about the Test Environment:
- All users can access the Canvas test environment, but students cannot access course content beyond the Course Home Page; if you are an admin and want to allow students to view all course content, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Notifications, including course invitations and report downloads, cannot be sent in the test environment.
- Crocodoc (annotation tool in SpeedGrader) is not available in the test environment.
- Any changes you want to keep in the test environment must be made directly within the production environment in order to affect live data.
- LTI tools (External Apps) are typically not available in the outside the production environment. LTI tools may display in the test environment, but often they are only configured for the production environment. Using production-configured LTI tools in the beta environment will affect live data. If you have permission to edit LTI tools, you can confirm the configuration for a specific LTI tool in your course or account. Please contact your Customer Success Manager for specific questions.
- Account-level user page views always reflect activity from the production environment.
- Feature option settings are never copied from production and always retain their default settings.
Access Your Test Environment
To log into your test environment, type [organization name].test.instructure.com into the URL field.
View Test Installation Message
Users in the test environment will see a pink bar across the bottom of the screen indicating the user is in a Canvas Test Installation. Test environments are reset every three weeks after the production release, and any changes you make in your test environment will be reset. If you want to save any course content created in your test environment, you can export your course.
Note: To hide the pink bar across the bottom of your screen, double-click the Canvas Test Installation bar.
Manage Canvas Features
Some new features may be released as opt-in only and will not appear until you enable them in your test environment. You can view these features in the Feature Options tab within Account or Course Settings.