How do I manage custom badge properties in Canvas Credentials?
With custom badge properties, you can add a property containing customized text or numbered values to your badges. This can be helpful for situations when you want to differentiate one badge from another within a particular issuer. For example, the badge properties could indicate that it was awarded for a credit-bearing course. It could also indicate how many course-credits the badge represents. Issuers can create multiple custom badge properties that can be associated with badges.
- This is a paid feature of Canvas Credentials.
- To set up custom badge properties, the feature needs to be enabled in the organization settings, designed in the issuer settings, and activated on the individual badges, where applicable.
- Custom badge properties can only be added to existing badges. Learn how to create a badge.
- To change the property label, description, type or visibility, the property must be removed. If removed from the issuer, the property settings are also removed from the associated badges and awards.
Click the Custom Badge Properties tab .
To add a custom badge property, click the Add Custom Badge Property button .
Each property type allows editors to enter a property name and property description and indicate if the property should be visible or not. There are five different choices available when creating badge properties .
- Single choice — allows you to create a predefined property field with the custom choices available in a drop-down menu. Badge editors may associate one of the choices in the drop-down menu to a particular badge (e.g., Yes/No).
- Multiple choice — allows you to create a predefined property field with the multiple choices available in a drop-down menu. Badge editors may associate one or more of the choices in the drop-down menu to a particular badge (e.g., Home/School/Work).
- Number — allows editors to associate a numerical value with a badge (e.g., "3").
- Text — allows editors to associate a string of text with a badge (e.g., "Offered in partnership with Canvas Credentials").
- Rich Text — allows editors to associate a string of rich text with a badge using Markdown. Markdown allows users to use formatting features such as ordered or numbered lists and URLs (e.g., [Learn more about Open Badges].
By default, custom badge properties are only visible to organization admins and issuers, not the public. To make the custom badge properties visible, click the Publicly Visible checkbox . This information also appears in CSV exports of badge data. If the Publicly Visibile checkbox is selected, then the properties are visible to recipients and displayed on public pages. This option is permanent once the property is saved.
Enter a name for your property such as "Credit bearing badges" .
You can optionally enter a description for your badge property .
To make entering the property a required field on all badges associated with the issuer, click the Required checkbox . Leaving the Required checkbox blank allows properties to be optional on all badges.
For single and multiple choice properties, you can add Choice Values . To add more choices, click the Add Another Choice link .
To add another custom badge property, click the Add Another Custom Badge Property button .
Note: To change the property label, description, type or visibility, the property must be removed. If removed from the issuer, the property settings are also removed from the associated badges and awards.
Removing a custom property from an issuer removes the property from any badges associated with the issuer. If you create a new custom property, you need to add it again to any badges requiring the property. Once you have set a custom property to be Public or Private, the only way to change this status is to remove the custom property from the issuer.
To remove a custom badge property, locate and edit the the issuer containing the custom property. In the Custom Badge Properties tab, click the Remove link.
To sort the order of properties, click the move icons .