Award badges in a module and/or include evidence in the badge award
Teachers now have the ability to add a badge as an element in the module allowing students to view the module completion badge alongside other modules. This also provides a new option to require learners to submit an evidence URL in addition to completing module requirements to earn the badge.
Here's how to add a badge to a module:
- Set up course modules, assign module completion rules and assign badges to modules.
- Add a new item to the module by clicking +.
- Use the drop-down menu to select External tool.
- Select the custom link highlighted in blue. The name of the link may vary because it can be set by the staff member who installs Canvas Badges in Canvas. The name shown on your configuration screen will be different than the "api.badgr.io" text shown here.
- Do not change the URL field.
- The default page name is "Submit badge evidence," but may be changed to a more descriptive title if evidence is not being collected. Consider renaming it "Claim your badge" or something similar.
- Clicking the Load in a new tab box will affect both student and teacher views. For best experience within the Canvas course, we recommend not selecting this option.
- Once you have clicked the link, the URL and Page name fields will populate with default settings.
- Use the Indentation feature to organize items within a module.
- Be sure to publish the item when you are ready for students to access it.
Learn more about using Evidence in Open Badges The URL submission field will be presented to students only if required for completion. The submitted URL is not stored within the course data — it's baked into the badge awards.
- Log into the course as a teacher.
- Click the name of the badge item in the module that you added by following the instructions above.
- If you'd like to require evidence, indicate by clicking the box.
- Click Next or go back to Modules.
- Repeat these steps as necessary for the remaining modules.
Teachers should view the 'Progress' page to access student submitted 'Evidence' URLs Depending upon how your module completion rules are set, the badges may display differently when viewing the Progress tab. Completed modules with badge awards appear in color while un-awarded badges are grayed out. If evidence is required, a small icon appears on the badge. If the icon is yellow, a URL has been submitted by the student.
Clicking the badge on the Progress screen provides additional detail and allows the teacher to view the URL evidence submitted by the student. The teacher reviews the student-submitted work to determine if the student meets the completion requirements and triggers the badge award.
Below are views of the badged activity showing one with the badge awarded and one without.
evidence submitted, unearned badge evidence submitted, earned badge Student view
Students will see the badge as an item in each module. In the example below, the "Terminology" module displays the badge in the module. After completing the Math terminology assignment, students will be taken to the completion badge page when they click Next. The "Learning Examples" module indicates that a student should submit evidence to earn the badge. The teacher has adjusted the names of each page to match the intended use.
With a simple click, students can view the badge to see if they have earned it. If they have, they can download the badge right from the page as a portable record in Open Badges image format, just like they can from the Badges app in their course navigation. If the badge requires evidence, they will see an input form to submit a URL, like below. For badges that require evidence, students can edit the URL until the completion requirements for the module are met. Once the module completion requirements are met, the badge is automatically awarded.
Once the badge is awarded, a student return to the badge item and download a portable copy. At this point, the URL cannot be edited.
When the student visits the Credentials or Badges tab in their course, they can see evidence submission status for each badge in the course.