How do I view a list of all Canvas courses in which I am an observer?
After logging into Canvas, you can view a list of all courses in which you are enrolled as an observer. You may also be able to view past and future course enrollments in Canvas.
If you cannot access one of your student's courses, review the following scenarios:
- If you are creating a Canvas account and linking your account using a pairing code, you may not have completed the registration process.
- If your institution enrolled you in your student's course, your enrollment may not have been set up properly. Please contact your student's instructor(s) for assistance.
- Each course is associated with a specific access date. Depending on the date associated with the course, you may not yet be able to view the course.
- Courses must be published by your institution before you can access them. If a course is not accessible to you in your course list, it may not be published.
- Access to concluded courses may be restricted by your institution.
- Confirm your browser is up to date. Outdated browsers cannot support Canvas courses.
Note: Some institutions may restrict the option to view or access future enrollment courses before the start date and/or access concluded courses after the course has ended.
Courses are organized into All Courses , Past Enrollments , and Future Enrollments .
All Courses are courses that are part of the current semester or term. However, depending on access settings for a course, My Courses can also display courses that have not yet started or that are unpublished.
Active courses that are available to you are listed in blue text . These courses have been published and include a link to the course. To open a course, click the name of the course. Courses that are within the current term dates but are not yet available are listed in black text . These courses have not been published.
You can also view any nicknames you have created for courses .
If a course includes a term date , the term date displays next to the course name.
Each course includes your enrollment status . Statuses can be student, teacher, TA, observer, designer, or a custom role as created by your institution.
Courses under the Past Enrollments heading are courses that have concluded but are still available as a read-only archived course. You can view course material and grades but can no longer participate in the course.
Note: Some institutions may not allow past enrollments to display in the Courses page.
Future Enrollments are courses that will be made available as part of an upcoming term or specific course start date. Future courses may be published or unpublished. However, some institutions may restrict you from viewing published courses before the start date.
If a future course includes a link , you can view course content but cannot fully participate in the course until the start date. Participation includes submitting assignments and replying to discussions.
If a future course does not include a link , the course cannot be viewed until the start date.
Note: Some institutions may not allow future enrollments to display in the Courses page.