How do I add a profile picture in my user account as an observer?
If profile pictures are enabled at your institution, you can add and change your Canvas account profile picture. If your user settings page does not display a placeholder picture, this feature is not enabled at your institution.
Set your Canvas profile picture using these three options:
- Upload a Picture from your computer
- Take a Picture using your computer's camera (not supported in Safari or Internet Explorer)
- Import from an existing Gravatar account (this feature may be restricted by your institution and only G-rated images are supported)
Profile Picture Tips
- Choose an appropriate picture to represent yourself. Your institution reserves the right to remove pictures that are not appropriate for a classroom setting.
- To prevent your picture from being resized or distorted, select a square image.
- Canvas stores your profile picture in your user files. You can select any file type (.jpg, .png, .gif) and size as long as you have enough Canvas user file storage.
- When uploading a profile picture, your personal files quota is enforced. If you do not have enough storage space in your personal files, you will not be able to upload your profile picture. Create more space by removing some files in your personal files.
Open Account Settings
In Global Navigation, click the Account link , then click the Settings link .
Open Profile Picture
Click the Profile Picture icon.
Note: If your Canvas account does not display a placeholder profile picture, your institution does not allow you to add or change your profile picture.
Upload a Picture
By default, the profile picture editor displays the Upload a Picture tab . Click the choose a picture link . You can also drag a picture from your desktop and drop it into the uploader.
Choose Profile Picture
Find the image you want to upload  and click the Open or Browse button .
Crop or Resize Picture
Use the selection boxes to crop your image . To save your picture, click the Save button .
Note: Canvas automatically stores a copy of the saved profile picture in your personal files. When a new picture is saved in your profile, the new picture overrides the existing picture file in your personal files.
Take a Picture
To take a picture using your device camera, click the Take a Picture tab , then click the Take Picture button .
- You may need to allow Canvas to access your camera.
- This option is not supported when using Safari or Internet Explorer.
To take another picture, click the Retry button . When you are finished, click the Save button .
Import from Gravatar
If your institution allows Gravatars and you have a Gravatar account, you can import an existing Gravatar to use as your profile picture.
Click the From Gravatar tab . Type your email address in the Gravatar email address field . To view your Gravatar, click the Preview button .
To save your picture, click the Save button .
Note: Before adding a photo in your Gravatar account, you have to rate the photo. Please note that you can only display G-rated Gravatar photos in Canvas.
View Profile Picture
View your profile picture in Account Settings.
Delete Profile Picture from Files
Profile pictures are linked to your personal files. To delete a profile picture, click the Account Navigation Files link.
Note: Gravatar images cannot be deleted from your account from your personal files. However, you can replace your Gravatar images with an uploaded or captured image.
Open Profile Pictures
Click the profile pictures folder.
Delete Profile Picture
Locate the file and click the Options icon . Then click the Delete link .