How do I submit an online assignment in Canvas for Elementary using Assignment Enhancements?
This lesson applies to users at institutions that have enabled the Canvas for Elementary user interface.
You can submit online assignments in subjects that have enabled Assignment Enhancements. Instructors can choose what kind of online submissions they want you to use. This lesson shows how to turn in a standard online assignment in a course using Assignment Enhancements.
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently than the steps in this lesson, Assignment Enhancements may not be enabled in your course or your instructor may not have used a supported assignment type. Please view this guide for more information.
- Assignment Enhancements does not support the following assignment types: Peer Reviews and Cloud Assignments.
- Not all file types may be available for your assignment, depending on the assignment submission type set by your instructor.
- For instruction on completing an assignment, view the assignment details or contact your instructor for assistance.
- Canvas does not support file uploads larger than 5 GB.
- Group assignments do not support the student annotation submission type.
In the Homeroom , click the Schedule tab .
Note: You can also access assignments through your subject's Schedule tab, your subject's Modules tab, or the Calendar link in Global Navigation.
The Homeroom Schedule displays this week's items for all of your subjects.
To view items for previous or future weeks, click the Previous or Next buttons .
To view your missing assignments, click the Show missing items drop-down .
To open an assignment, click the assignment name .
View Assignment Details
Assignment details display including the due date , points , allowed submissions attempts , details , and allowed submission types .
If the assignment includes a rubric, the rubric displays below the assignment description .
Select Submission Type
The following submission types are accepted using Assignment Enhancements: Text Entry, Website URL, Media, Annotation, File Upload, and external application. However, your instructor may specify which submission types are appropriate for each assignment.
Select a submission type from the Choose a submission type section.
If your instructor only allows one submission type, the Choose a submission type section does not display.
Submit Text Entry
To submit a text entry assignment, enter text in the Rich Content Editor .
Once added, your text will be saved as an assignment submission draft .
Submit Website URL
To submit a website URL, add the URL to the Website Url field.
Once added, your website URL will be saved as an assignment submission draft.
Submit Media Recording
To submit a media recording, click the Record/Upload button.
To submit an annotated document, click the Annotation button.
Note: Group assignments do not support the student annotation submission type.
Submit File Upload
To upload a file as your submission, click the Upload button .
To upload a file from your computer, drag and drop a file , or browse your computer files by clicking the Choose a file to upload link .
To capture a photo of your assignment using your computer's webcam, click the Webcam button .
To upload a file from your Canvas user files, click the Canvas Files button .
Once uploaded, your file will be saved as an assignment submission draft.
Submit Course App File
If added to your course, you may see options to upload a file from a course app such as Google Drive or Office 365.
To upload a file or URL from a course app, click the More button . Then click the app name .
Once added, your file will be saved as an assignment submission draft.
When you are ready to submit your assignment, click the Submit Assignment button .
If you are working on an additional assignment attempt, you can cancel your submission your assignment attempt by clicking the Cancel Attempt button .
Note: If you added a text entry submission, you must save the submission draft before you can submit the assignment.
When your submission is successfully submitted, the Progress Tracker displays a Submitted status  and your most recent submission displays .
If allowed by your instructor, you may resubmit another version of your assignment using the Try Again button .
If you've submitted multiple assignment submissions, you can view previous submissions by clicking the Attempt drop-down .
To add an assignment comment for your instructor, click the Add Comment button .
- When you submit your assignment, the assignment is automatically marked as completed in your schedule.
- If you're not able to resubmit work, your instructor may have limited the number of allowed submissions or the assignment may no longer be accepting submissions due to the assignment's availability dates.
- If your assignment is part of a module, you can view the previous module item by clicking the Previous button  and the next module item by clicking the Next button .