How do I submit a media file as an assignment submission for a course using Assignment Enhancements?
You can upload a video or audio file as an assignment submission in a Canvas course that uses Assignment Enhancements. You can also use Canvas to record an audio or video file to submit as an assignment. This lesson shows how to turn in a standard online assignment in a course using Assignment Enhancements.
Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric.
To learn more about available options for using media files in Canvas, view the Canvas Media Comparison PDF.
- Canvas will not accept media uploads larger than 500 MB.
- The Assignment Enhancements - Student feature option is currently only available in the beta environment.
- Assignment Enhancements does not support the following assignment types: No Submission, Group Assignments, Peer Reviews, and Cloud Assignments.
- Not all file types may be available for your assignment, depending on the assignment submission type set by your instructor.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see options to submit your work, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way or the assignment is not within its availability dates. View the assignment header and details for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
Click the name of the assignment.
Select Submission Type
Your instructor may specify which submission types are appropriate for each assignment.
If your instructor allows multiple submission types for the assignment, the Attempt tab  displays the accepted submission types in the Submission Type drop-down menu .
Click the Submission Type drop-down menu, and select the Media option  .
If your instructor only allows Media submissions, the Media option may display in place of the Submission Type drop-down menu.
- If the Media submission type does not display, your instructor has restricted this submission type.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see options to submit your work, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way or the assignment is not within its availability dates. View the assignment header and details for instructions or contact your instructor for assistance.
Open Media Upload Tool
To open the media upload tool, the Record/Upload Media button.
By default, the Media Upload tool opens on the Computer tab .
To upload a file from your computer, drag and drop a file, or browse your computer files by clicking the Upload File icon .
Select Media File
Select your media file  and click the Open button .
Save File as Submission Draft
Once uploaded, you can review the media using the media player .
To upload a closed caption or subtitle file, click the Add CC/Subtitle checkbox .
To save your media as a submission draft, click the Submit button .
To delete your uploaded file, click the Delete icon .
To record media, click the Record tab .
You have the option to record video or audio to upload to the assignment.
To select a microphone for your recording, click the Mic button . To select a webcam, or, to turn the webcam off for audio-only recordings, click the Webcam button .
To begin recording, click the Start Recording button .
Note: If you receive an error that says, "Media comment uploading has not been set up properly," please contact your instructor.
To end your recording, click the Finish button.
Save Recorded Media as Draft
To play your media, click the Play button .
To erase your current recording and try again, click the Start Over button .
By default, the media file name will save as "Untitled" and include the date and time of the recording. To edit the default file name, type your preferred file name in the File Name field .
To save your recording as a submission draft, click the Save button .
Once your media file has been saved as a draft submission, it will display on the Attempt tab .
Review the media file in the media player .
To delete the media file, click the Delete icon .
To submit the media file, click the Submit button .
View Submitted Assignment
When your submission is successfully submitted, the Status Timeline displays a checkmark icon for the Submitted status .
If you choose, you may resubmit another version of your assignment using the New Attempt icon .
If you've submitted multiple assignment submissions, you can view previous submissions by clicking the Previous icon .
Once your instructor has graded your submission, your grade displays in the Assignment Summary header . You can also see details about your assignment and links to additional feedback in your Grades page.
- If you're not able to resubmit work, your assignment may no longer be accepting submissions due to the assignment's availability dates.
- Once you've submitted your work, the assignment will still display in the Assignments page and the Syllabus.