How do I submit an online assignment in a course using Assignment Enhancements?
You can submit online assignments in Canvas courses that have enabled Assignment Enhancements. Instructors can choose what kind of online submissions they want you to use. This lesson shows how to turn in a standard online assignment in a course using Assignment Enhancements. If your instructor allows, you may also have the option to resubmit assignments.
Any attachments added as part of a graded assignment submission are also copied to your user files but are not counted against your user quota. However, once the file has been uploaded as a submission, you cannot delete the file. Files are stored in the Submissions folder.
Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric.
Third-Party File Application Submissions
You can submit assignments from Google Drive, Dropbox, or another third-party service via your desktop computer in one of two ways:
- Download the file to your computer and submit as a File Upload
- Share the file, copy the file URL, and submit as a Website URL
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently, Assignment Enhancements may not be enabled in your course or your instructor may not have used a supported assignment type. Please view this guide for more information.
- Assignment Enhancements does not support the following assignment types: No Submission, Group Assignments, Peer Reviews, and Cloud Assignments.
- Not all file types may be available for your assignment, depending on the assignment submission type set by your instructor.
- For instruction on completing an assignment, view the assignment details or contact your instructor for assistance.
- Canvas does not support file uploads larger than 5 GB.
In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
Note: You can also access your Assignments through your user or course dashboard, the Syllabus, Gradebook, Calendar, or Modules.
Click the name of the assignment.
Select Submission Type
There are four submission types: Text Entry, URL, Media, and File. Your instructor may specify which submission types are appropriate for each assignment.
If your instructor allows multiple submission types for the assignment, the Attempt tab  displays the accepted submission types in the Submission Type drop-down menu.
Select a submission type from the Submission Type drop-down menu .
If your instructor only allows one submission type, a Text Entry, URL, Media, or File option may display in place of the Submission Type drop-down menu.
Submit Text Entry
To submit a text entry assignment, click the Start Entry button.
Save Text Entry Draft
Add your Text Entry assignment submission in the Rich Content Editor .
To save your work as a draft, click the Save button .
Submit Website URL
To submit a website URL, add the URL to the Website Url field.
Note: Once added, your website URL will be saved as an assignment submission draft.
Submit Media Recording
To submit a media recording, click the Record/Upload button.
Submit File Upload
To upload a file from your computer, drag and drop a file, or browse your computer files by clicking the Upload File icon .
To upload a file from your Canvas user files, click the More Options button .
Note: Once uploaded, your file will be saved as an assignment submission draft.
When you are ready to submit your assignment, click the Submit Assignment button.
Note: If you added a text entry submission, you must save the submission draft before you can submit the assignment.
When your submission is successfully submitted, the Progress Tracker displays a Submitted status .
Additionally, you can view your most recent submission in the Attempt tab .
If you choose, you may resubmit another version of your assignment using the Try Again button .
If you've submitted multiple assignment submissions, you can view previous submissions by clicking the Attempt drop-down .
To view feedback or add an assignment comment for your instructor, click the View Feedback button .
- If you're not able to resubmit work, your instructor may have limited the number of allowed submissions or the assignment may no longer be accepting submissions due to the assignment's availability dates.
- Once you've submitted your work, the assignment will still display in the Assignments page and the Syllabus.