How do I enter a URL as an assignment submission?
In Canvas, you can enter a website URL as an assignment submission. When a URL is submitted as an assignment, Canvas takes a screenshot of the web page at the time it was submitted.
Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric, if any. You may also have the option to resubmit assignments if your instructor allows.
Third-Party File Application Submissions
You can submit assignments from Google Drive, Dropbox, or another third-party service via your desktop computer in one of two ways:
- Download the file to your computer and submit as a File Upload
- Share the file, copy the file URL, and submit as a Website URL
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see the Submit Assignment link, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way, or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
- You can also submit assignments using your Android or iOS device.
- If enabled in your account, Canvas plays a celebration animation when you submit an assignment on time. However, if you prefer, you can disable this feature option in your user settings.
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently, your assignment may be using the Assignment Enhancements feature option. Please view this guide for more information.
In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
View Course Assignments
Click the name of an assignment.
To submit an assignment, click the Submit Assignment button.
Note: If you cannot see the Submit Assignment button, your instructor may not want you to submit your assignment online or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
View Final Grade Notice
A banner may appear above your assignment to indicate that your instructor has removed the assignment from total grade calculations. However, this setting does not affect assignment submissions.
Select Website URL
To submit a URL, select the Website URL tab.
Submit a Website URL
Type or copy and paste the URL into the Website URL field . Click the Submit Assignment button .
You can submit assignments from Google Drive, Dropbox, or another third-party service by sharing the file, copying the URL, and submitting as a website URL. Alternatively, you can download the file to your computer and submit as a file upload if the assignment allows.
The Sidebar displays information about your submission .
If allowed by your instructor, you may choose to resubmit another version of your assignment by clicking the Re-Submit Assignment button . You will only be able to view the details of your most recent submission in the Sidebar, but your instructor will be able to see all of your submissions.
Once the instructor has graded your submission, the Grades link in Course Navigation displays a grading indicator. You can also see details about your assignment and links to additional feedback in your Grades page.
- After submitting an assignment, the assignment will still appear in Assignments and in the Syllabus; the listing is not removed with assignment submissions.
- When you resubmit an assignment, you can only access and view your most recent submission. However, instructors can view all of your submissions.