How do I submit a Google Drive file or URL as an assignment submission using Assignment Enhancements?
If your institution has enabled Google Drive or Google Docs as a submission type and enabled Assignment Enhancements in your course, you can upload a file from Google Drive for an assignment. Unlike other assignment submissions, files from Google Drive are not uploaded into your Canvas user files.
Canvas accepts Google Doc, Google Sheet, and Google Slide files. You can also upload any uploaded Word (.doc/.docx), Excel (.xls/.xlsx), PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx), and PDF files not converted to Google Docs formatting.
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently, Assignment Enhancements may not be enabled in your course or your instructor may not have used a supported assignment type. Please view this guide for more information.
- If the Google Docs or Google Drive tab is not available in your submission, your institution has not enabled this feature.
- If your course displays a link to your Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu, your course has enabled Google Drive directly. Otherwise, you must enable Google Drive a web service in your user profile to upload Google Drive files.
- In Google Drive assignments, you can only submit one file for your submission.
- When Google Drive files (docs, sheets, and slides) are uploaded as a submission, the files convert to their Microsoft counterpart file types and appear in the submission as respective Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files. This conversion essentially preserves the submission in its current state; any changes made to the file in Google Drive will not be updated in the submission.
- Assignment Enhancements does not support the following assignment types: Student Annotation, Group Assignments, and Peer Reviews.
- Canvas does not support file uploads larger than 5 GB.
In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
Note: You can also access your Assignments through your user or course dashboard, the Syllabus, Gradebook, Calendar, or Modules.
Click the name of the assignment.
Select Submission Type
If your instructor allows multiple submission types for the assignment, accepted submission types display in the Choose a submission type section .
You can upload a Google Drive or Google Doc assignment by using the Web URL or Upload submission types .
Submit Google Drive URL
To upload a Google Drive or Google Docs URL for your assignment submission, click the Web URL option in the Choose a submission type section .
Then, in Canvas, add the shareable website URL to the Website Url field .
Once added, your website URL will be saved as an assignment submission draft.
To preview your URL in a new browser tab, click the Preview icon .
Note: If a shareable link is not created, your instructor will not have permission to view your file.
Submit Google Drive File
To upload a Google Drive or Google Docs file for your assignment submission, click the Upload option in the Choose a submission type section .
Then click the More Options button .
To submit your your Google Drive file or URL as your assignment submission, click the Submit Assignment button .
If you are working on an additional assignment attempt, you can cancel your submission your assignment attempt by clicking the Cancel Attempt button .
Note: If you submit a website URL without creating a shareable link, your instructor will not have permission to view your file. Once a shareable link is created, your instructor will have access to the submitted URL.
When your submission is successfully submitted, the Progress Tracker displays a Submitted status  and your most recent submission displays .
If you choose, you may resubmit another version of your assignment by clicking the Try Again button .
If you've submitted multiple assignment submissions, you can view previous submissions by clicking the Attempt drop-down .
To view feedback or add an assignment comment for your instructor, click the View Feedback button .
- If you're not able to resubmit work, your instructor may have limited the number of allowed submissions or the assignment may no longer be accepting submissions due to the assignment's availability dates.
- Once you've submitted your work, the assignment will still display in the Assignments page and the Syllabus.