How do I create a Google Drive collaboration as a student?
You can use Google Drive to create a collaboration with a Google Document, Spreadsheet, or Presentation. You can select individual users, groups, or both as part of a collaboration.
Google Docs allows you to add up to 50 users per collaboration, and all users can view and edit a document at the same time. However, a Google file may be shared with up to 200 email addresses including viewers, commenters, and editors.
- This lesson is for creating a collaboration in a course; when collaborations are created in a group, only group members and users with instructor-based roles (including TAs) can be selected as collaborators. However, your instructor can always view your collaboration.
- Creating a collaboration is a course permission. If you cannot create a collaboration in a course, your institution has restricted this feature.
- When creating a collaboration you cannot link to a previously created collaboration.
- Google Drive collaborations are separate from Google Docs collaborations.
- Once you invite a user to a collaboration, the collaboration is available to the user in the user's Google Drive. Uninviting the user or deleting the collaboration does not remove access to the collaboration once a user has been added.
In Course Navigation, click the Collaborations link.
Click the Add Collaboration button.
In the Kind drop-down menu, select the type of collaboration you want to create.
To create a name for the collaboration, click the Name header . The page will create a text field for you to enter the name .
To create a description for the collaboration, click the Description header . The page will create a text field for you to enter the description .
The collaboration defaults to the People tab. If you want to collaborate with individual people in your course, click the name of a user you want to add to the collaboration . The user's name will move to the right side of the window .
Add as many users as necessary.
Note: Your instructor can view and access all collaborations added in the course, even if you do not add your instructor to the collaboration directly.
To remove a collaborator, click the Remove icon . To remove all users, click the Remove All link .
You can also create collaborations with groups. To select an entire group, click the Groups tab . Select the group(s) you want to add to the collaboration .
Note: You can select individual users as well as a group in a collaboration.
Click the Submit button.
View your collaboration. To edit the collaboration, click the Edit icon . To delete the collaboration, click the Delete icon .