How do I view Discussions as a student?
The Discussion Index page allows you to view all the discussions within a course.
Note: Your instructor may choose to hide the Discussions link in Course Navigation. If the Discussions link is not available, you can still access Discussions through other areas of Canvas.
Discussions are organized into three main areas.
Discussions. These are current discussions within the course. Discussions are ordered by most recent activity. You will only see this section heading if there are discussions within this section.
Pinned Discussions. These are discussions that your instructor wants you to pay specific attention to and will appear at the top of the Discussions page. You will only see this section heading if there are discussions within this section as designated by your instructor.
Closed for Comments. These discussions have been manually closed for comments, or the discussion is past the available from/until date. These are discussions that are only available in a read-only state and are ordered by most recent activity. You will always see this section heading, even if there are no discussions within this section.
Each discussion displays whether or not it is a graded discussion , the name of the discussion , the date of the last discussion post , any availability dates for the discussion , the due date (if any) , whether or not you are subscribed to the discussion , and the number of unread/total posts in the discussion .
There will also be a peer review icon in the front of the discussion if a graded discussions has been assigned peer reviews.
View Availability Dates
The first dates you may see are called availability dates. Sometimes your instructor only wants you to submit a discussion during a specified date range, so the available dates are the range of time that the discussion is accessible to you.
- If the discussion does not have a date listed, the discussion is open; you can reply to the discussion at any time during your course.
- If the discussion says Available until [date], you can reply to the discussion until the specified date.
- If the discussion says Not Available Until [date], the discussion is locked until until the specified date.
- If the discussion is in the Closed for Comments section, the discussion cannot accept submissions.
Note: If a date does not include a time, the listed date defaults to 12 am. Therefore, the last day for the discussion is the full day before the listed date. For instance, if a discussion is Available until March 29, you can access the discussion until March 28 at 11:59 pm.
View Due Dates
The second set of dates are the Due dates for each respective discussion. However, due dates only apply to graded discussions.
Any replies to discussions after the due date are marked as late; some instructors may deduct points for late replies.
You can still reply to late discussion before the Available until date.
Please be aware that the Due date may be before or on the Available date.
There are a few ways to filter Discussions:
- Search for a discussion by typing a discussion title, a user name, or a keyword in the Search title, body, or author field.
- View only unread discussions by clicking the Unread button.
- View graded discussions by clicking the Assignments button.
- Start a new discussion by clicking the Add Discussion button. (Note: Some instructors may choose to disable this option.)
- Change the discussions settings by clicking the Settings icon. (Note: Some instructors may choose to disable this option.)
View Discussion Details
To view the details of a discussion, click the name of the discussion.
View Open Discussion
When a discussion is available for participation, you can view the Reply field beneath the discussion topic.
View Graded Discussion
View Discussion with Required Replies
View Group Discussion
If a discussion is a group discussion, you will be directed to Discussions in your group.