What tools and computer skills do I need to use Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system, or LMS, that can be accessed from a web browser or one of the Canvas mobile apps. In order to use Canvas, you will need some basic skills to use a computer or mobile device.
This lesson lists some of the tools and skills you may need to use Canvas LMS software. You may be asked by your institution or instructor to learn other skills that are specific to your courses.
- Computer, laptop, or other device that meets the Canvas basic computer requirements
- Supported web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari) that has been updated to the current or first previous major version
Canvas Mobile Apps
You will likely need the following skills in order to use Canvas. Other skills may be required by your institution or instructor in order to provide or complete coursework.
- Connect to the Internet using wireless or wired network
- Enter a URL/web address
- Enter text using a keyboard or other software
- Navigate Canvas using a mouse, keyboard, or other device
- Understand file extensions
- Download and upload a file
If you want to complete an online tutorial to learn computer skills, try one of these courses:
- Computers & the Internet - Khan Academy
- Basic Computer Skills Courses - GCF Global
- Internet Basics - GCF Global
- Smartphones & Tablets - GCF Global
In addition to the resources above, you may be able to find computer skills training from your institution, local library, or other community resource.
Note: The resource links above are external links that are not managed by the Canvas Community team or Instructure.
To download a web browser or update your browser to the most recent version, use one of these options: