How do I create hyperlinks to user or group files in the New Rich Content Editor as a student?
You can use the Rich Content Editor to insert hyperlinks to document, image, and media files stored in your user files and group files.
- The New Rich Content Editor is currently a course opt-in feature. If the Rich Content Editor in your course does not match the images in this lesson, your course is using the classic Rich Content Editor.
- To create hyperlinks to group files, you must open the New Rich Content Editor within a group.
- If you set a file as restricted and link to that file in the New Rich Content Editor, other group members will be able to view that file using the link in the New Rich Content Editor.
Open New Rich Content Editor
Open the New Rich Content Editor when using one of the Canvas features which support the Editor.
Note: The New Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, click the Keyboard icon or press ALT+F8 (PC keyboard) or ALT+FN+F8 (Mac keyboard).
Select Link Location
To insert a hyperlink to a user or group content item, select the text for your hyperlink .
If you want to insert a link to a document and display the name of the file, click to place your cursor in the location in the New Rich Content Editor where you want the link to appear . This method only applies when inserting a user or group document and will not work for images or multimedia files.
Open User Links
To link to an image, media, or document in your User Files, click either the Images icon , Record/Upload Media icon , or the Documents icon  and select the User option for the desired file type . The option name will display as User Images, User Media, or User Documents.
Note: To view these icons, you may have to click the Options icon .
Open Group Links
If creating a link within a group, you can link to group files by clicking the Link Options arrow  and selecting the Group Links option .
- If creating a link within a group, you can link to group file types. The option name displays as Group Images, Group Media, or Group Documents .
- To view the Links icon, you may have to click the Options icon .
Open Insert Menu
In the menubar, click the Insert link . You can navigate to view the Link, Image, Media, and Document options .
View and Sort Files
By default, the Add menu displays all files in your selected file source .
To sort the displayed files by image, document, or media file type, click the Type drop-down menu .
To sort the displayed files by date added, date published, or alphabetically, click the Sort by drop-down menu .
Click the name of the file you want to link in the New Rich Content Editor.
Note: The text will flash before turning into a hyperlink.
View the link displaying the hyperlinked text  or the name of the file .
Click the Save button.
Note: When using the Rich Content Editor in Discussions, the Save button may appear as the Post Reply button.
View the content. To view the linked file, click the link .
Note: Links to external URLs display an Open icon .