How do I log in to Canvas as a student?
This lesson explains various ways you can find out how to log in to Canvas from an internet browser. If you are using Canvas with an institution, you will log in either from your institution's webpage or by using their direct Canvas URL. Canvas Network accounts also log in with a Canvas URL. You can also use the Canvas URL to log in to the Canvas Mobile Student app.
You must have an account to log in to Canvas.
- If you are associated with an institution using Canvas and do not know your username and password, please contact your site administrator.
- If you are given a join code or a secret URL to join a course, learn how to create a Canvas account.
Note: If you are having trouble signing into Canvas, please see the troubleshooting section in this lesson.
If you are having trouble logging in to your account, here are some tips:
- Verify you are using the correct Canvas URL for your account. You can search for your Canvas URL by using the lookup tool on the Instructure website or from the Free-for-Teacher login page.
- If you use more than one Canvas URL (such as one for your institution and one for Canvas Network), make sure you are using the correct login and password for each Canvas URL.
- If your login and password were given to you from your institution and you are having trouble logging in, please contact your institution. (Your institution may have changed your login credentials.)
- If you do not have a login and password, you may need to create an account.
- If you have forgotten your password, you may be able to reset your password.
Access Canvas via Institution
Some institutions host Canvas within their website, so you may only need to sign into your institution's internal system to access Canvas.
Access Canvas via Canvas URL
Some institutions have you log in to Canvas using the direct link to their Canvas URL. In a browser window, enter your Canvas URL. Your Canvas login page will appear in the window.
Find Canvas URL via Course Invitation
If you do not know your institution's Canvas URL, you can find a link to the page in your course invitation email by clicking the Get Started button.
Access Canvas via School Search
If you cannot locate your institution's Canvas URL, open a browser window and enter www.instructure.com/canvas/login/free-for-teacher.
Find your school by searching for its name in the Search School field.
When the full name of your school appears, click the name. You will be directed to your school's Canvas login page. Once you are logged in to Canvas, the Canvas URL will display in the browser menu.
Access Canvas via Free Account
To log in to a free Canvas account, open a browser window and enter www.instructure.com/canvas/login/free-for-teacher.
Enter your Email address  and Password . Click the Login link . You will be directed to the free account page using your credentials.
Each screenshot from an institution's website is acknowledged by its respective institution for use in this lesson.