How do I sign up for a new Free-for-Teacher Canvas account as an instructor?
If you are not affiliated with an institution that uses Canvas, you can create your own account, also known as a Free-for-Teacher account, to create your own courses. Once you have signed up for an account, you will need to complete your account registration via email, though you can have access to your new Canvas account immediately.
If your institution is using Canvas and you are having trouble with your account, contact your administrator for assistance.
- If you are using Canvas through your institution, you will most likely already have an account and need to accept a course invitation.
- Free-for-Teacher accounts are always free. However, they do not contain all features available to institutional users of Canvas. Learn more in the Canvas Account Comparison PDF.
- For help with your Free-for-Teacher account, view our Free-for-Teacher Account FAQ in the Canvas Community.
Enter Canvas URL
Enter the Canvas registration URL into your browser: canvas.instructure.com
Click the Sign Up Link
Click the Sign Up link.
Get a Free Canvas Account
Click the Get a Free Canvas Account button.
Sign Up for Your Account
Enter your first and last name , school or organization name , institutional email , and phone number .
In the drop-down menus, select your organization type , job title , why you are signing up for a Canvas account , and country .
Note: Depending on the options selected, additional text fields may display in the page.
Click the Next button .
Create a password for your account , then click the Submit button .
Verify Signup Process
Verify the signup process has been completed. To immediately view your account, click the Go to Account button .
Additionally, you will need to complete your registration process by verifying your email address .
Log in to Canvas
If you selected the option to view your account, enter your Email Address  and Password . Click the Login button .
Note: Depending on the organization type you selected, the Login display page design may vary.
To complete your registration, open your email inbox and open the Confirm Registration: Canvas email. This email shows the account URL you will use to log in to Canvas .
Click the registration process link .
- If you are not already logged in to Canvas, you will have to log in before your registration is confirmed.
- The account URL aligns to the organization type you selected during the sign-up process and may vary for individual users. Always use the URL indicated in your registration email to log in to Canvas.