What are Profile and User Settings?
Profile and User Settings let you control your personal information in Canvas.
If you want to view a video about personal settings, you can watch the User Settings and Profile Picture video.
Note: Your institution may restrict one or more settings options.
When would I use my profile and user settings?
You can use your profile and user settings to:
- View and edit your user settings, such as display name, language preference, and time zone
- Change your default email address or add an additional email address for notifications
- View or add a profile picture
- Set Notifications for your favorite communication channels
- Upload personal Files
- Create and manage ePortfolios of your course work
- Manage new user features
- Download your assignment submissions from current and previous courses
Your institution can choose to enable Profiles.
If your institution has enabled the Profiles feature, you can do the following from the User Details page:
- Add profile information such as a biography and custom links
- View profile information for other users
- View your Enrollments
- View Enrollments you share with other users
If your institution has disabled the Profiles feature, you can do the following from the User Details page:
- Use the Send Message button to message a user within Canvas
- View any Recent Messages that you posted in discussions
- View User Details for other users, such as name, email address and time zone (only available to the Instructor and Admin roles)
- View the Recent Messages section, which shows recent discussion posts written by the user (only available to the Instructor and Admin roles)