How do I get help with Canvas as a student?
You can get help with Canvas by using the Help menu. The Help menu generates a list of resources to help you with Canvas. Canvas displays links according to roles in all enrollments; for instance, if you are a student who had one courses with an instructor-based role, the Help menu will show you links available to students and instructors.
This lesson outlines the default help links that may be included in the Help menu for your institution. However, your institution may customize the Canvas Help menu to hide default links and create custom links as resources.
Note: Depending on your institution, the Help menu may not be available.
At the bottom of Global Navigation, click the Help link.
Note: Depending on your institution, the Help link name and icon may vary.
View Default Links
Depending on your user role, there are seven default links for help or feedback:
- Search the Canvas Guides : Search the Canvas Guides for information about features inside of Canvas
- COVID-19 Canvas Resources : Users can view resources for teaching and learning online
- Conference Guides for Remote Classrooms : Users can view and search guides and resources for using Conferences in remote classrooms and online learning
- Report a Problem : Submit problems with Canvas to our support team
- Ask your Instructor a Question : Ask your instructor questions about course material or send them a message
- Ask the Community : Exchange ideas and solutions regarding Canvas functionality with Canvas experts and your Canvas peers
- Submit a Feature Idea : Submit ideas about how to make Canvas better
- Show Welcome Tour : Learn more about Canvas by viewing the Welcome Tour
View Custom Links
Your institution may reorder or remove the default links.
Your institution may remove or modify which link displays as the featured link  and which link displays the New label .
Lastly, your institution can include custom links in the Help menu . Custom links may include pages to phone numbers, support information, and other resources.
Search Canvas Guides
The Search the Canvas Guides link helps you search Canvas documentation for information about features in Canvas.
COVID-19 Canvas Resources
The COVID-19 Canvas Resources link allows users to view tips for learning online using Canvas.
View Web Conferencing Resources
The Conference Guides for Remote Classrooms link allows users to access guides and resources for using web conferencing in remote classrooms and online courses. This link may not appear in your Canvas Help menu.
Report a Problem
The Report a Problem link helps you report problems in Canvas.
You may find a faster response to your question by searching the Canvas Guides. But if you can't find an answer, you can submit a ticket and get support help.
In the subject field , create a subject for your ticket.
In the description field , describe the problem you are experiencing in Canvas. Please be as detailed as possible to help troubleshoot the problem. If you submit tickets frequently, you may prefer to use a screencasting program to create an online link to an image or create a video walkthrough. However, if you're not comfortable using online links, you can submit attachments later if necessary; once you submit the ticket, you'll receive an email from the support team. You can reply to the email with any attachment as needed.
In the drop-down menu , select the statement that best describes how the problem is affecting you:
- Just a casual question, comment, idea, suggestion
- I need some help but it's not urgent
- Something's broken but I can work around it for now
- I can't get things done until I hear back from you
- EXTREMELY CRITICAL EMERGENCY
When you're done, click the Submit Ticket button .
Depending on your institution's support schedule, you'll receive a reply as soon as possible.
Ask Your Instructor a Question
The Ask Your Instructor a Question link allows you to contact an instructor or TA in any of your active courses directly from the help page.
In the course drop-down menu , select the course that relates to your question. In the Message field , enter the message for your instructor(s).
When you're done, click the Send Message button . Replies will be sent to your Conversations inbox. If your course includes more than one instructor or TA, your message will be sent as a group message to all instructors/TAs in the course.
Ask the Community
The Ask the Community link allows users with an instructor-, TA-, or designer-based role to collaborate with other members of the Canvas community for answers to Canvas questions. This link directs to the Find Answers space in the Canvas Community.
Request a Feature
The Submit a Feature Idea link allows you to submit feature ideas to Canvas. This link directs to the Feature Ideas space in the Canvas Community.
Show Welcome Tour
The Show Welcome Tour link shows you how to find your courses, contact your instructor, and download the student app.