What user roles and permissions are available for a Canvas Studio account?
Canvas Studio has two default course-level user roles known as the Teacher and Student roles. Users in your account who are not designated as Studio Admins are course-level users. For these users, their Canvas Studio user role is determined by their Canvas course user role.
By default, Canvas Studio permissions are enabled for all Studio Admins. As a Studio Admin, you can view and manage permissions for all course-level users in your account. However, you cannot manage permissions for Studio Admins.
Note: You can be a Studio Admin even if you are not a Canvas Admin. As a Studio Admin, you can manage user permissions in Studio. However, you may not be able to manage permissions for users in Canvas.
In Canvas Studio, click the Navigation Menu icon , then click the Settings link .
The default course-level roles display as Teacher  and Student . However, you can edit the user role names.
The following permissions may display in your account Permissions:
- Record media : users can record media within Canvas Studio using a webcam.
- Add media from devices : users can upload media files into Canvas Studio from their mobile devices, including phones and tablets.
- Add media from YouTube : users can add media from YouTube in their Canvas Studio library.
- Add media from Vimeo : users can add media from Vimeo in their Canvas Studio library.
- Add video quizzes to media : users can create Canvas Studio media quizzes.
- Create groups : users can create groups in Canvas Studio.
- Generate public share links : users can generate a public link or embed code for their Canvas Studio media.
Learn more about managing Studio permissions for user roles.
- By default, all permissions are turned on for all users
- Depending upon account configuration, the Add media from YouTube/Vimeo permissions may not display. To view these permissions, contact your Canvas Studio CSM.