How do I share media with a user in Canvas Studio?
You can share your Studio media files with individual users and with your Studio groups. When you share your media, you can choose to allow others to view or edit the media. Shared media displays in the Shared with Me page. You can change or remove sharing permissions for media at any time.
If you allow a user to view a media file, they can view the media, access the embed code and public sharing link, and share the media with others.
If you allow a user to edit a media file, they have most permissions allowed as if they originally uploaded the media file, including deleting the media, editing the media details (title, description, tags), adding comments, downloading, copying, sharing the media, and viewing analytic insights. However, users to whom you share the media can only cut or trim the media content if they first copy the media to their library.
This lesson shows you how to share media directly from the My Library page. However, you can also share media when viewing a video.
Canvas Studio Media Sharing Rules:
- Students can share media with Canvas Studio groups they are members of, all instructors, TAs, instructional designers, and admins at their institution. They can also share media with any verified Canvas Studio user enrolled in their same course(s).
- Instructors, TAs, and instructional designers can share media with Canvas Studio groups they are members of, all other instructors, TAs, instructional designers, and admins at their institution. They can also share media with verified Canvas Studio users enrolled in their courses.
- Admins can share Canvas Studio media with Canvas Studio groups they are members of and all users at the institution.
- You can only share media with verified Canvas Studio users. A user is verified when they view embedded Studio media in a Canvas course in which they are enrolled.
- To share a media file to all members in a course, section, or group at one time, you can create or ask an admin to create a Canvas Studio group. You can also share a video or audio file to multiple individuals at one time.
- Any quizzes added to a video are not included when the video is shared.
- Studio content cannot be shared to or imported from Commons.
Open Share Media
On the My Library page, locate the media and click the Options icon . Then click the Share Media link .
Note: You can also share media from the Studio Media Player Options menu.
The Share Media page displays the People tab.
To share the media, enter user's name or email in the Type to add people or groups field , then click the user's name . You can repeat this process to add as many users as necessary. You can also share media with your Studio groups.
Added users display in the Shared with section .
Manage Media Access
By default, Studio allows others to view your shared media. However, you can allow others to edit your shared media.
To manage shared access when sharing your media, click the Sharing Access drop-down menu . Alternatively, you can manage shared access for individual users. In the Shared with section, click the user's Sharing Access drop-down menu .
To allow another user to view, copy, and share the media, select the Can View option .
To allow another user to view, edit media details (title, description, tags), add comments, delete, download, copy, and share the media, select the Can Edit option .
To remove a user's shared access, click the Revoke Access option .
Update Shared Media
To share the media with the selected users, click the Update button.