How do I access Canvas Studio?
You may be able to access Canvas Studio using a standalone Canvas Studio site, or your institution may have configured the Canvas Studio integration for Canvas LMS.
You can use a Studio account to view, share, and comment on any uploaded video or audio media file.
- Users can upload and manage media files at any time
- Users who upload media are considered to be the media owner
- Media owners can manage all media settings and functionality including setting user details and viewing analytics
- Media owners can manage comments in their media
- Media owners can share media with other users and grant viewing or editing access
- Media always allow and display comments
- Media include a link and embed code to use in public sites (comments are never displayed)
If your institution uses a Canvas Studio site, you can access Canvas Studio from your institution's Studio site URL.
Additionally, a separate login site is provided for admins at institutions that use Studio with Canvas LMS. This site is separate from Canvas and is hosted in a separate URL. However, all other content in the Studio site is the same as in a Studio account.
Accessing this site requires an email invitation to create a user password. Any user who receives an email invitation can access the Studio site.
- Users must log in to a separate URL
- Users have the same access as standard Studio accounts
- Users with Studio admin roles can manage users
Note: If your institution enables Canvas authentication, you can log into your Studio site with your Canvas credentials.
When integrated with Canvas LMS, Studio may be accessed from the Global Navigation menu, from the Course Navigation menu (for instructors), and as an external tool in the Rich Content Editor. The Canvas Studio integration allows for the seamless integration of media interaction in teaching and learning.
Canvas Global Navigation Menu
When Studio is enabled for all users at an instititution, the Global Navigation Menu displays a Studio link. You can access your Studio account from anywhere in Canvas.
Note: If the Global Navigation Menu does not display a Studio link, you may still have access to Studio through the Rich Content Editor.
Course Navigation Link
Instructors can view and access their Canvas Studio account from the Course Navigation Studio link.
Rich Content Editor
Multiple Canvas features use the Rich Content Editor, including Assignments, Discussions, and Pages.
Even if you do not have direct access to Studio through the Global Navigation menu, you may be able to access Studio through the Rich Content Editor. However, access through the Rich Content Editor includes modified functionality and gives more control to the course instructor.
To open Studio, click the Studio icon . If the icon does not display directly in the toolbar, you may need to click the Options icon .
- Users can only access their Studio account when using the Rich Content Editor, including media uploads
- Students who upload a media file in either a course or a group are not considered to be the video owner; a copy of the media is made for the course instructor to manage
- Media can be embedded with or without comments
- After media is embedded, instructors can manage all media settings and functionality for course media including setting user details and viewing analytics
- Instructors can manage comments in all course media
- Existing comments in embedded media are not included in course copies.