How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file?
If usage rights is enabled in your course, you have to set a usage right (copyright) for each file you upload to your course. Usage rights must be assigned to files before files can be published to the course. If a file or multiple files are located in a folder, you can set usage rights through folders.
Note: Managing course file usage rights is a course setting. To manage usage rights, learn how to set course details.
In Course Navigation, click the Files link.
Manage Usage Rights
Click the line item for the file . Click the Options icon  and the Manage Usage Rights link . You can also click the file's warning icon , or the Files toolbar Manage Usage Rights link .
Select Usage Right
In the Usage Right drop-down menu , select one of five usage rights. If you are an instructor and are not sure which usage right applies to your file, please consult your institutional admin for guidance:
- I hold the copyright (original content created by you)
- I have obtained permission to use the file (authorized permission by the author)
- The material is in the public domain (explicitly assigned to public domain, cannot be copyrighted, or is no longer protected by copyright)
- The material is subject to an exception - e.g. fair use, the right to quote, or others under applicable copyright laws (excerpt or summary used for commentary, news reporting, research, or analysis in education)
- The material is licensed under Creative Commons; this option also requires setting a specific Creative Commons license
If known, enter the copyright holder information in the Copyright Holder field .
Set File Availability
You can also set availability to the file. By default, the file is unpublished. You can also publish the file or restrict access.
To select file availability, click the radio button next to the access type. You can change the access at any time.
Set File Visibility
In Course Settings, visibility defaults to course visibility. However, for individual files, the default is whatever the instructor selected in Course Settings.
Click the Save button.
View the updated file.