How do I set details for a course?
As an instructor, you can manage the details in a Canvas course. The Course Settings page may allow you to manage the course identification details, course Dashboard image, Blueprint information (if any), file storage data, course grading scheme, course license, course visibility, course format, and other options available for the course.
In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
Open Course Details
Click the Course Details tab.
View Course Identification
The first section of Course Details shows you an overview of your course, including the course name  and course code . Depending on your institution, you may not be able to change your course name and code.
To change your course time zone, use the Time Zone drop-down menu .
If you can view SIS IDs, you can view the SIS ID for the course . You can also view the assigned subaccount for the course .
The Course Details page also shows the status of the course, published or unpublished .
View Course Image
If your institution allows you to add an image to a course card in the Dashboard, you can add or replace the course image.
View Blueprint Course
Your Course Details tab indicates whether the course has been enabled as a blueprint course and displays Yes or No .
If your course is associated with a blueprint course, your Course Details tab indicates the name of the blueprint course . The course name also includes the course ID as a reference (e.g. courses/XXX). If you have been enrolled in the blueprint course as an instructor or TA, the name of the blueprint course will contain a link to access the blueprint course.
Most commonly, your course will be associated with a blueprint course and you can only manage unlocked content in your course. If your course is a blueprint course, you can lock and sync course content to associated courses.
View Course Dates
Courses may be assigned to the Default Term or a specific term . By default, your course will be available to students within the term dates.
If needed, you can set specific start and end dates for your course . However, changing course dates may override term availability settings and placement in the Courses page and Dashboard. Please confirm term dates before modifying course dates. Changing start and end dates also allow you to manage participation between the course dates.
You may also be able to change student access settings to allow or restrict students from viewing your course before the start or end date .
View Course Language
You can set a specific language for your course. By default the language is set to Not set, English (US). Selecting a language for your course will override user language preferences and is only recommended for foreign language courses.
View File Storage
You can view the storage file size allowed in your course. File storage consists of all files in course files and assignment submissions. Administrators at your institution set the file storage quota for each course.
View Large Course Setting
You can enable the option to launch SpeedGrader filtered by student group in your course. When this setting is enabled, you must choose a student group when opening SpeedGrader.
View Grading Scheme
You can enable a grading scheme for your course. A grading scheme is a set of criteria that measures varying levels of achievement in a course. You can also view the current existing grading scheme, if any.
You can view the license for your course. By default all content is considered private and copyrighted, but you can also release your content to the public domain or choose a Creative Commons license. When making your course public, you will most likely want to set a license for your course.
You can set the format for your course in the Format menu . This setting specifies the intended format of the course. To change the course format, click the format drop-down menu.
You can also allow users to download your course for offline viewing using one of two options.
- If ePub Exporting is enabled in your course, you can view the ePub Export check box  and change the ePub format.
- If your course displays an Offline Course check box , your institution has enabled course content to be viewed offline as an HTML file. By default, this check box will be selected. However, you can manage offline course access by deselecting the check box at any time.
If your course is part of the public course index, you can include a description for your course in the description field.
View More Options
You can change more options in your course by clicking the More Options link .
You can grant additional course privileges for students by selecting the appropriate checkbox :
- Allow students to self-enroll by clicking the Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL or code checkbox.
- Show recent announcements on the course home page by clicking the Show recent announcements on course home page checkbox.
- Allow students to attach files to discussion replies by clicking the Let students attach files to Discussions checkbox.*
- Allow students to create new discussion topics by clicking the Let students create Discussion Topics checkbox.*
- Allow students to edit or delete their own discussion posts by clicking the Let students edit or delete their own discussion posts checkbox.*
- Allow students to create their own student groups by clicking the Let students organize their own groups checkbox.
- Hide student grade totals in the grades page by clicking the Hide totals in student grades summary checkbox.
- Hide the grade distribution graphs in the grades page by clicking the Hide grade distribution graphs from students checkbox.
- Disable comments on announcements by clicking the Disable comments on announcements checkbox.* (Depending on your institution's preference, this option may already be selected for you.)
- Allow students to edit course pages by default by selecting the Edit course pages drop-down menu.*
- If the Content Security Policy is enabled in an account, admins can disable the Content Security Policy for a course by clicking the Disable Content Security Policy checkbox. If the box is checked, the policy is disabled for this course.
* These options can also be selected from the feature's index page.