What is the Course Import Tool?
The Course Import Tool makes it easy to extract course content, assignments, and quizzes from previous terms and quickly import them into existing courses. The same tool is used to import course materials from different Learning Management Systems.
When Would I Use the Course Import Tool?
Accessed from the Course Settings sidebar, use the Course Import Tool to:
Copy course content from term to term, including Announcements and Discussions. You can adjust the events and due dates to coordinate with your current term.
Select migrations content to select specific content you want copied. You can select individual Assignments, Pages, Files, and anything else from previous courses you or your colleagues have taught. The Course Import Tool supports keyboard navigation when selecting content to import.
Import course materials from different Learning Management Systems. The Course Import Tool does not import user content.
Choose Import Source
Content import options currently supported in the Course Import Tool include:
- Import all content or choose specific content to copy from another Canvas course
- Import a Canvas Course Export Package (courses that were previously exported from Canvas)
- Import a ZIP file of assignments, files, course content, etc. into an existing folder
- Import an Angel export ZIP format
- Import a Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export ZIP file
- Import a Blackboard Vista/CE, Web CT 6+ Course
- Import a Common Cartridge 1.0/1.1/1.2 package
- Import a Desire2Learn (D2L) export ZIP format
- Import a Moodle 1.9/2.x ZIP file
- Import a QTI ZIP file
When importing content, the tool allows you to import all content or select specific content. This feature is useful for institutions or instructors who only want to copy specific elements of a course, such as assignments or modules.
The following behaviors currently apply to Canvas copies or imports:
- Copying content retains any links or files associated with the content, such as in an assignment.
- Group sets do not copy as part of the import. Any existing group sets in the new course will be linked to the group set with the same name. However, if there are no group sets with the same name in the new course, the assignment will be linked to a new Project Groups set.
- When selecting assignments only, Canvas imports all assessment items within the Assignments page (including any associated quizzes and discussions). Assignments are placed in an assignment group called Imported Assignments. However, assignments can be moved into other assignment groups as necessary.
- Announcements and Discussions do not retain the name of the user who originally created the course content.
- SCORM content is included in course copies. SCORM content should only be copied within accounts that use the same key and secret configuration.
Adjust Events and Due Dates
In addition to recreating the structure and content of the course, the Course Import Tool can adjust events and due dates to the new date ranges of the new term.