How do I select specific content as part of a course import?
When importing course content with the Course Import Tool, you can choose to select specific content as part of the import. This option allows you to select specific content areas such as assignments, settings, and files without importing the entire course.
Not all content can be copied as part of a course.
- Importing a course more than once may have unintended consequences. If you import content into a new course, edit the content in the new course, and later import the previous content again, the imported content will override the existing content.
- If you change your mind after the import has started and you want to import all course content, you can import all content by selecting each item for a content type.
- For information about the Course Import Tool's limitations, view the Course Import Tool overview.
In the Content Type drop-down menu, select the content type you want to import. See the guides below to complete any additional fields required for the content.
- How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?
- How do I import a Canvas course export package?
- How do I import content from Angel into Canvas?
- How do I import content from Blackboard 6/7/8/9 into Canvas?
- How do I import content from Bb Vista/CE, WebCT 6+ into Canvas?
- How do I import content from Common Cartridge into Canvas?
- How do I import Thin Common Cartridge files as separate modules?
- How do I import content from Desire 2 Learn (D2L) into Canvas?
- How do I import content from Moodle into Canvas?
- How do I import quizzes from QTI packages?
When importing content, a message displays explaining that importing the same course content or export package more than once overwrites any existing content in the course.
Click the Import button .
A progress indicator displays the upload status by percentage .
Content can be individual items  or a content group . Content groups show the number of items within the group. To view content within a group, click the group's expand icon .
To import all content for a content type, click the checkbox next to the content name . If the content type is a group, Canvas automatically selects all items within the group.
To import only a few items from a content group, expand the group and select the specific items to be imported . Canvas places a dash in the content group checkbox , indicating not all items are selected within the group.
If you imported a Thin Common Cartridge file (Common Cartridge import), this file type is imported directly as module content. The structure can be expanded to view a nested layout that simulates the content structure. Learn how to select content with Thin Common Cartridge files.
The report displays a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import. View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.
The import may also display errors as part of the import status. Learn more about course import statuses.