How do I get help with Canvas as an admin?
You can get help with Canvas by using the Help menu. Depending on your user role, the Help menu generates a list of resources to help you with Canvas. Canvas displays links according to roles in all enrollments; for instance, if you are enrolled as a student, but have at least one course with an instructor-based role, the Help menu will show you links available to students and instructors.
This article outlines the default help links that may be included in the Help menu for your institution. You can customize links in the Help menu.
To learn more about support tiers available to Canvas customers, please view the Support Terms webpage.
In Global Navigation, click the Help link.
Note: Depending on your institution, the Help link name and icon may vary.
View Default Links
There are eight default links for help or feedback:
- Search the Canvas Guides : Search the Canvas Guides for information about features inside of Canvas
- COVID-19 Canvas Resources : Users can view resources for teaching and learning online
- Conference Guides for Remote Classrooms : Users can view and search guides and resources for using Conferences in remote classrooms and online learning
- Report a Problem : Submit problems with Canvas to our support team
- Training Services Portal : Access Canvas training videos and courses
- Ask the Community (Non-Students Only) : Exchange ideas and solutions regarding Canvas functionality with Canvas experts and your Canvas peers
- Submit a Feature Idea : Submit ideas about how to make Canvas better
- Show Welcome Tour : Learn more about Canvas by viewing the Welcome Tour
View Custom Links
Your institution may reorder or remove the default links.
Your institution may remove or modify which link displays as the featured link  and which link displays the New label .
Lastly, your institution can include custom links in the Help menu . Custom links may include pages to phone numbers, support information, and other resources.
Search Canvas Guides
The Search the Canvas Guides link helps users search Canvas documentation for information about features in Canvas.
COVID-19 Canvas Resources
The COVID-19 Canvas Resources link allows users to view instructions about creating course content in Canvas.
View Web Conferencing Resources
The Conference Guides for Remote Classrooms link allows users to access guides and resources for using web conferencing in remote classrooms and online courses. This link may not appear in your Canvas Help menu.
Report a Problem
The Report a Problem link helps users report problems in Canvas.
You may find a faster response to your question by searching the Canvas Guides. But if you can't find an answer, you can submit a ticket and get support help.
In the subject field , create a subject for your ticket.
In the description field , describe the problem you are experiencing in Canvas. Please be as detailed as possible to help troubleshoot the problem. If you submit tickets frequently, you may prefer to use a screencasting program to create an online link to an image or create a video walkthrough. However, if you're not comfortable using online links, you can submit attachments later if necessary; once you submit the ticket, you'll receive an email from the support team. You can reply to the email with any attachment as needed.
In the drop-down menu , select the statement that best describes how the problem is affecting you:
- Just a casual question, comment, idea, suggestion
- I need some help but it's not urgent
- Something's broken but I can work around it for now
- I can't get things done until I hear back from you
- EXTREMELY CRITICAL EMERGENCY
When you're done, click the Submit Ticket button .
Depending on your institution's support schedule, you'll receive a reply as soon as possible.
Open Training Services Portal
The Training Services Portal link allows users to access the Training Services Portal, which contains self-paced training resources on a variety of Canvas topics.
Ask the Community
The Ask the Community link allows users with an admin-, instructor-, TA-, or designer-based role to collaborate with other members of the Canvas community for answers to Canvas questions. This link directs to the Find Answers space in the Canvas Community.
Request a Feature
The Submit a Feature Idea link allows users to submit feature ideas to Canvas. This link directs to the Feature Ideas space in the Canvas Community.
Show Welcome Tour
The Show Welcome Tour link shows you how to add people and courses to Canvas, share course content and templates with teachers, set up video conferencing and other tools, and access training and other helpful resources.
View Release Notes
If enabled by your institution, you can view release note links from the Help Menu. Release notes describe new and updated features added to the Canvas interface. The Help Menu displays the last ten release notes posted for the admin role. You may also see notes for instructor and observer roles, if you have been assigned one of those roles in a course.
To view a release note document, click the link for the release . The document contains a user summary of release information relevant to a specific user role. The Help Menu also includes a short description  and the date the release notes were published .
The Help Menu displays a numbered badge for any release notes that have not been viewed . To hide the numbered badge, click the Show badges for new release notes button .
- To enable release note links in the Help Menu, enable the Embedded Release Notes feature preview in Account Settings.
- Feature previews are not mentioned in release notes until the feature will become a default feature for all users.