How do I add a developer key for an account?
As an admin, you can create developer keys for root accounts. A developer key uses Oauth2 to ask a user for permission to programmatically create an API access token. For more information about Oauth2, see the Instructure API OAuth documentation.
Developer keys can be used to create custom integrations with Canvas. For more information about developer documents, see the Instructure Github page.
Note: Developer Keys is an account permission. If you cannot view the Developer Keys link in Account Navigation, this permission has not been enabled for your user account.
Open Developer Keys
In Account Navigation, click the Developer Keys link.
Add Developer Key
Click the Add Developer Key button.
Enter Key Settings
Enter the settings for the developer key:
- Key Name : Usually your app or company name. This field will be shown when users are asked to approve access to their Canvas account on your behalf.
- Owner Email : The email of the person who owns the developer tool.
- Redirect URI (Legacy) : The URI for the key redirect. This field allows you to set the previous URI for a tool. Eventually this field will be removed.
- Redirect URIs : The domains where tokens are requested. These URIs are not your Canvas URL. To avoid mixed content browser concerns, use https.
- Icon URL : The URL of the icon for your developer tool. This URL is presented to the user to approve authorization for your tool. To avoid mixed content browser concerns, use https.
- Notes : Any notes about the developer key, such as the reason it was created.
Click the Save Key button.
View the Developer Key for your account.