How do I override a student's final grade in the Gradebook?
The Final Grade Override allows you to enter a final grade for students that is different from the grade automatically calculated by Canvas in the Gradebook. You can enter a letter grade or a percentage. A letter grade results in the lower bound of the grading scheme. A percentage is retained as the override score.
An override can be applied to final grades in grading periods, but the overridden grades from the grading period will not affect the student's total final course grade.
Students can view the overridden grade in their Grades page. However, students will not know the score has been overridden.
- Final Grade Override is currently a course opt-in feature. To enable the final grade override, learn how to manage course features.
- When a grader, such as an instructor or TA, enables the Final Grade Override option, the Override column displays for all graders in the course. Likewise, the Override column will be hidden if disabled by another grader in the course.
- The override column is included in Gradebook exports. However, overridden grades cannot be changed through a Gradebook import.
- If your SIS accepts final grades through grade passback, any entered override grades are included in SIS syncs in place of the calculated final grade.
- After the final grade override feature option has been enabled in a course, both the Gradebook and Final Grade Override options cannot be disabled.
- Final grade override actions are not recorded in the Grading History page, which only records changes for individual assignments.
- If the student context card feature option is enabled for an account, the student context card displays the override grade for a student.
- Your Canvas admin may need to configure SIS sync settings for final grade overrides to correctly sync to your SIS.
In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.
Open Gradebook Settings
Click the Settings icon.
Select Final Grade Override
In Gradebook Settings, open the Advanced tab  and then click the Allow final grade override checkbox . Click the Update button .
Enter Override Grade
The override column displays at the far right of the Gradebook. Locate the student whose grade you want to override and enter a percentage or a letter grade in the Override column.
To delete an overridden grade, click the grade cell and click the Delete key.
View Override Grade
View the overridden grade.