How do I post grades for an assignment in the Gradebook?
You can manually post grades or submission comments for an assignment where student grades have been hidden. Student grades can be hidden in one of three ways: selecting a manual grade posting policy for an assignment, selecting a manual grading posting policy for a course, or hiding scores from an assignment's Options menu. Manual posting policies automatically hide grades for students and should be set before you enter any grades. The option to hide grades from the assignment's Options menu is only available once grades have been entered.
Grades or comments can be posted to everyone or only to students with graded submissions or submissions with comments. When grades are posted to everyone, students with ungraded submissions will see that their submission does not have a grade on their grades page. When grades are only posted to students with graded submissions, students with ungraded submissions and no submission comments will see an icon on their grades page that indicates grades are still being worked on. However, students with ungraded submissions that have submission comments will be able to view submission comments.
If a manual posting policy is set for an assignment and grades are posted to everyone, the manual posting policy will become inactive and future grades will be posted automatically.
Submission comments can be posted even if no grade is entered. Students will be able to see posted comments before grades are posted.
- If you make changes to an assignment with hidden grades, the total score as you see it (in both the Gradebook and the student Grades page) will be affected. However, students will not see any changes when they view their Grades page. Once you post the assignment grades, the total grade in the student's view will update accordingly.
- Grades for anonymous and moderated assignments are hidden by default. Moderated assignments grades and submission comments cannot be unhidden until final grades have been posted.
- Posting grades for an anonymous assignment will remove anonymity from the assignment.
- Students can see peer review comments when assignment grades are hidden. However, students can only see instructor comments if the instructor posts grades or submission comments.
- If you post grades for an assignment with varied due dates, all students will receive score results at the same time.
- Viewing the Total Column in the Gradebook may be restricted when multiple grading periods are enabled.
- In Classic Quizzes, students will not be able to see their quiz responses while quiz grades are hidden.
- In New Quizzes, hiding grades will not affect a student's ability to access their quiz scores. Student visibility of New Quizzes scores must be managed from the quiz settings menu.
- If your institution uses an SIS, posting grades does not automatically sync grades to your SIS. You must first post grades and then sync them to your SIS.
In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.
Open Assignment Menu
Any assignment with hidden grades is indicated by the Visibility icon .
Hover over the assignment column header and click the Options icon .
Open Post Grades Tray
Click the Post grades link.
View Other Messages
If student grades are already posted, the Options menu displays that all grades are posted . To hide student grades, click the Hide grades link .
If there are no grades or comments on the assignment, the Options menu will display that there are no grades to hide or post .
View Hidden Grades
The Post Grades tray includes a numbered indicator that displays the total number of hidden grades for the assignment .
When the Post Grades tray is open, hidden grades are indicated by a Dot icon .
Ungraded submissions with submission comments do not display the Dot icon unless the grades were previously manually hidden . However, comments will still post to students.
Select Posting Option
To post grades and submission comments to all students, click the Everyone option . When the Everyone option is selected, the Visibility icon will be removed from the grades page for all students, including students with ungraded submissions. An assignment notification will also be sent to all students.
To post grades to students with graded submissions or submissions with comments, click the Graded option . When the Graded option is selected, the Visibility icon will only be removed from the grades page for students with graded submissions or submissions with comments. Assignment notifications will only be sent to students with graded submissions.
- Grades can only be posted to everyone in anonymous assignments.
- If grades are posted to everyone in an assignment with a manual posting policy, the manual posting policy will become inactive and future grades will be posted automatically.
To post grades or comments for specific sections, click the Specific Section button . Then select the sections where you want to post grades .
Note: You cannot post grades for specific sections in anonymous assignments.
To post grades or submission comments, click the Post button.
Assignments with a manual posting policy display a Manual label  in the assignment header. If grades were posted to everyone for an assignment with a manual posting policy, future grades will post to students automatically. If grades or comments were posted only to students with graded submissions or submission comments, future grades will be hidden from students and the Visibility icon will display in the assignment header .
Assignments with an automatic posting policy do not display a Manual label in the assignment header . Any future graded submissions will display to students.