How do I apply a Missing Submission policy in the Gradebook?
The Missing Submission policy lets you automatically apply a grade for all missing submissions in the Gradebook. A submission is labeled missing when the due date has passed and it has not been submitted. Only submissions with a status of Missing will be affected by the Missing Submission policy. The Missing Submission policy is set per course.
The Missing Submission policy allows you to define a grade that will be granted for missing submissions as a percentage of the total points possible. The percent entered is multiplied by the total points possible on the assignment and the resulting value will be awarded to missing submissions. For example, if the Missing submission grade is set to 20% and the assignment is worth 10 points, all missing submissions for that assignment will be awarded a grade of 2 points (10 points possible x 20% = 2 points awarded). To award all missing submissions with a grade of 0, the Missing submission grade can be set to 0%.
- If a submission is received after the due date, the Missing label will be automatically replaced by the Late label. However, any label can be manually removed in the Grade Detail Tray.
- Setting a Missing Submission policy affects all assignments in a course, including assignments with due dates in the past. To exclude a specific assignment, mark the submission as something other than Missing in the Grade Detail Tray.
- Applying a missing submission policy will not affect previously graded missing submissions. Therefore, the Missing Submission policy should be set up when a course is created prior to creating assignments.
- The Missing Submission policy will not affect submissions in closed grading periods or submissions for concluded enrollments.
- The Missing Submission policy will not be automatically applied to No Submission, On Paper, or External Tool assignments. However, a Missing label can be added in the Grade Detail Tray.
- If a Missing Submission policy is applied in a course, missing submissions for Complete/Incomplete assignments will be awarded an Incomplete grade with a score of 0, regardless of the Missing submission grade value.
- Disabling a course Missing Submission policy does not revert grades that were submitted when the policy was enabled.
- The Missing Submission Policy will not apply to unpublished assignments.
In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.
View Late Policies
In Gradebook Settings, view the Late Policies tab.
Apply Missing Submission Policy
Click the Automatically apply grade for missing submissions checkbox. Selecting this checkbox will automatically apply the grade you set for any missing submissions in the course.
Set Missing Submission Percentage
Set a percentage in the Grade percentage for missing submissions field.
Click the Apply Settings button.
View the affected grades in the Gradebook.
View Grade Detail Tray
In the Grade Detail Tray, you can view details about the submission. When a submission applies to a missing policy, the Grade Detail Tray displays the given grade. To remove the late penalty from a submission, enter a grade in the grade field. Once a grade has been manually assigned, the Missing submission policy no longer applies and the label is automatically removed.