How do I create a Google Docs collaboration as an instructor?
You can start a new collaboration using Google Docs in Canvas. Google Docs allows you to add up to 50 users per collaboration, and all users can view and edit a document at the same time. However, a Google file may be shared with up to 200 email addresses including viewers, commenters, and editors.
Google Docs collaborations are separate from Google Drive collaborations. If your collaboration options include Google Spreadsheets and Presentations in addition to Documents, your course has enabled Google Drive collaborations.
- This lesson is for creating a collaboration in a course; when collaborations are created in a group, only group members and users with instructor-based roles (including TAs) can be selected as collaborators.
- Creating a collaboration is a course permission. If you cannot create a collaboration in a course, your institution has restricted this feature.
- Each collaborator will need a Google account and will need to connect Google Drive as a registered service in Canvas. If you are the owner of the collaboration, you will have to turn on the Share settings to allow people who have the link to edit the document.
- Google Apps for Education (integration with your school) works with Google Docs in Canvas. Please note, if your school email does not allow access to Google Docs, you will need to use a regular Google account (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Email notifications for collaborations relate directly to the account used to connect to Google Drive.
In Course Navigation, click the Collaborations link.
Start a New Collaboration
Click the Start a new collaboration button.
Collaborate Using Google Docs
Click the Collaborate using drop-down menu to use Google Docs for your new collaboration.
Note: Each collaborator will need a Google account and will need to authorize Canvas to access his or her Google account to use Google Docs to collaborate.
Create Collaboration Document
To create a collaboration document using Google Docs, you will first need to name the document , create a description , and select collaborators . By default, you can view the list of people in the course and can collaborate with individual or multiple users in the course. You can also click the Groups tab and collaborate with a group.
Click the Start Collaborating button .
Note: Google Docs allows you to add up to 50 users per collaboration, and all users can view and edit a document at the same time.
View the newly created document in a new browser window.