How do I make a quiz available before or after the due date?
You can make your quiz available to all your students before or after the due date by setting availability dates.
Note: If you are looking to change quiz dates for individual students, you can assign a quiz to an individual student or assign a quiz to a course section. Additionally, you may be able to edit due and availability dates for multiple quizzes at one time from the Assignments Index page.
Quizzes have an autosubmit feature tied to the Until (lock) date, which may affect student submissions. Only quiz attempts that have been started are auto-submitted. Common quiz scenarios and date results include the following:
- No dates: quiz is never marked late and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
- Due date only: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
- Due date with Until date: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at Until date
- Time limit: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires (only applies when students are actively taking a quiz)
- Time limit with Until date: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires unless the Until date expires first
When students view a quiz, they are able to see the details of the quiz. Quiz details do not show due and availability dates in relation to the current time. However, within the quiz, Canvas notifies students regarding any upcoming quiz deadlines:
- For quizzes with a Due date, the browser displays a notification banner to let students know when the quiz will be marked late (30 minutes prior, 5 minutes prior, and 1 minute prior).
- For quizzes that are close to autosubmitting (using an Until date or the natural course conclude date), the browser displays a notification banner to let students know when the quiz will autosubmit (30 minutes prior, 5 minutes prior, 1 minute prior, and 10 seconds prior).
- For timed quizzes, the browser displays a notification banner if students are not able to complete the quiz in the full allotted time period. The quiz sidebar also displays a timer indicating how many minutes remain to complete the quiz. For example, if a 60-minute quiz has an Until date of 11:59 pm and a student begins the quiz at 11:30 pm, the student will only have 30 minutes to complete the quiz.
In Course Navigation, click the Quizzes link.
To add a new quiz, click the Add Quiz button.
Select Quiz Engine
If your course has New Quizzes enabled, you must select a quiz engine.
To create a classic quiz, click the Classic Quizzes option .
To select New Quizzes, click the New Quizzes option .
Then click the Submit button .
Note: Learn more about creating a quiz using New Quizzes.
To edit the settings of an existing quiz, locate the quiz , click the quiz Options icon , and select the Edit option .
View Availability Dates
View the availability date options for your quiz:
- Available From: the date and time when the Assignments will become available to students. If no time is set, this date defaults to 12:00 am for the course time zone.
- Until: the date and time when students can no longer access the assignment. If no time is set, this date defaults to 11:59 pm for the course time zone.
When the assignment is published, blank availability date fields allow the assignment to be viewed throughout the entire course.
Note: If you have set section override dates in your course, you may need to select a course section and set availability dates that fall within the section override dates.
Set Available From Date
To set an Available From date, click the calendar icon  and select the date  and time . Click the Done button .
Set Until Date
To set an Until date, click the calendar icon  and select the date  and time . Click the Done button .
Click the Save button.
Note: If you edited an existing quiz, any saved changes will automatically be updated.
View the quiz and the dates you have made the quiz available to students.