How do I hide or post assignment grades in SpeedGrader?
This lesson describes how to hide or post grades for an assignment that already has student submissions. If you want ensure grades are automatically hidden or posted, you can set a posting policy for an assignment or set a posting policy for a course.
When assignment grades are hidden, students will not receive grade change or instructor comment notifications for the assignment. Students will also be unable to view their grades, including grade and score changes, instructor submission comments, Canvas DocViewer comments, and curved grades for the assignment. Students can still see and submit the assignment and will be informed on the student grades page that assignment grades are hidden.
When assignment grades are posted, you can select to post grades to everyone or post to students with graded submissions. When the Everyone option is selected, the Visibility icon will be removed from the Grades page for all students for this specific assignment. Learn more about managing grade visibility in your course and view the interactive Student Grade Visibility Flowchart.
- If you make changes to an assignment with hidden grades, the total score as you see it (in both the Gradebook and the student Grades page) will be affected. However, students will not see any changes when they view their Grades page. Once you post the assignment grades, the total grade in the student's view will update accordingly.
- Anonymous and moderated assignments automatically default to a manual posting policy. Grades for moderated assignments cannot be posted until final grades have been posted.
- Students can see peer review comments when assignment grades are hidden. However, students cannot see instructor comments until after the assignment grades are posted.
- If you post grades for an assignment with varied due dates, all students will receive score results at the same time.
- Students will not be able to see their quiz responses while quiz grades are hidden.
- If you have set an automatic post policy for an assignment or for your course, manually hiding grades only hides assignment scores already graded. Any scores added to SpeedGrader after manually hiding grades follow the selected post policy and are visible to students.
Open SpeedGrader from any assignment, graded discussion, or quiz.
View Visibility Icons
If assignment grades are posted for the assignment, the icon displays as the Posted Visibility icon . If assignment grades are hidden, the icon displays as the Hidden Visibility icon .
To hide assignment grades, click the Posted Visibility icon  and select the Hide Grades option .
Note: Students will be unable to view their grades until the assignment is posted.
To hide grades for specific sections, click the Specific Sections button . Then select the sections where you want to hide grades .
Note: You cannot hide grades for specific sections in anonymous assignments.
Click the Hide button.
Student View: Hidden Assignment
The Visibility icon will display next to the title of the assignment on the Grades page . If a student tries to click on the icon, a popup dialog informs the student that the Instructor is working on the grades for that assignment .
To post assignment grades, click the Hidden Visibility icon  and select the Post Grades option .
Select Posting Option
To make grades visible to all students, click the Everyone option . When the Everyone option is selected, the Visibility icon will be removed from the grades page for all students, including students with ungraded submissions. An assignment notification will also be sent to all students.
To post grades to students with graded submissions, click the Graded option . When the Graded option is selected, the Visibility icon will only be removed from the grades page for students with graded submissions. Assignment notifications will only be sent to students with graded submissions.
- Grades can only be posted to everyone in anonymous assignments.
- If a manual posting policy is set for an assignment and grades are posted to everyone, the manual posting policy will become inactive and future grades will be posted automatically.
To post grades for specific sections, click the Specific Section button . Then select the sections where you want to post grades .
Note: You cannot post grades for specific sections in anonymous assignments.
Click the Post button.