How do I view weekly online activity analytics in a data table in New Analytics?
By default, the analytics page displays an interactive analytics chart graph of all weekly online activity. However, you can choose to view analytics data as a table. Data is for viewing only and cannot directly be changed. You can view analytics in both active and concluded courses.
New Analytics allows you to view the average number of page views and participations per week in your course. The average page views is the average approximation of student activity across the course. Participation analytics are defined by specific actions a student takes in the course and can be used to identify trends in the course. Page views and participation metrics include an aggregate across all devices, including Canvas mobile apps.
Only active and completed student enrollments are included in data for New Analytics. Deleted or inactive user enrollments will not generate data.
- If you cannot view the New Analytics link in Course Navigation, you may have to make the link visible via the Navigation tab in Course Settings. If the New Analytics link is not available in the Navigation tab, your institution has disabled this feature.
- Data is refreshed in New Analytics every 24 hours. Please confirm the time the data was last updated in the course, as content may be outdated compared to recent course activity and student submissions.
- In order for New Analytics to display in Canvas, third-party cookies may need to be enabled in your browser settings.
- Weekly Online Activity displays in a Monday-Sunday format.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course .
To open New Analytics, click the New Analytics link in Course Navigation  or click the New Analytics button in the Course Home Page .
Note: If you cannot view the New Analytics link, you may have to make the link visible via the Navigation tab in Course Settings.
For reporting accuracy, the page displays the last time analytics data was last updated. Data is refreshed in New Analytics every 24 hours.
Note: If the course has been concluded, the analytics page includes a Concluded label above the Data Last Updated date.
The analytics page is dynamic based on filtered content. By default, all sections are displayed and cannot be removed .
Filtered data is displayed as a chart with a single row for each filter, including the date range , average number of page views , and the average number of participations .
For analytical comparisons, you can compare table data by filtering a section or student.
Below the chart, you can also view the specific students that are part of each filter.
For each student, the table displays the following data:
- Students : the list of students in the course sorted by last name. Click the student's name to view analytics for the student .
- Page Views : the student's total number of page views in the course.
- Participations : the student's total number of participations in the course.
By default, the students table displays twenty students at a time. If your course includes additional students, you can view additional pages in the pagination bar .
You can also view the amount of page views and participations for specific resources in the course. Click the Resources tab .
On the Resources tab, you can view the resource name , the number of students who accessed the page , the number of views for the page , and the number of participations for the resource .
To send a message to students who did or did not view or participate with a specific resource, click the Message icon.
To export analytics data as a CSV zip file, click the Download CSV button.
CSV data is exported according to the filtered data.
The downloaded zip file includes CSV files for chart data, student table data, and resources table data.
CSV files may display a student's full name, sortable name, week start, filters, average and total page views, average and total participations, and the resource URL path.