How do I enter and edit grades in the Gradebook?
Most likely you will use the SpeedGrader to enter grades. The grades will appear in the Gradebook when you are done. However, you can manually enter and edit scores in the Gradebook.
- When using differentiated assignments, the assignment appears as a column for all students, but grade cells are grayed out for students who are not part of the assignment or an assigned section. Grades cannot be assigned to students who are not part of the assignment or section; those assignments are not factored into overall grades.
- Once a student receives a grade for an assignment, the grade will always apply to the student's current and final score. If you unassign a student or section to a differentiated assignment you have previously graded, the grade will only be removed from grading calculations if you excuse the assignment for the student.
- When Multiple Grading Periods are enabled in a course, you cannot edit grades for any assignment that has at least one student in a closed grading period.
In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.
Locate Student Score
Click the assignment cell located in the row of the student whose score you want to enter.
Enter New Score
Type or use the arrows to enter the new score in the cell and press Return (on a MAC keyboard) or Enter (on a PC keyboard). New scores are saved automatically.
Note: When you reach the end of a column, pressing the Return or Enter key advances to the top of the next column.
Excessive Points Alert
If an excessive amount of points is added to a student's grade, Canvas will generate an alert notifying that the student was awarded an unusually high grade. You can either keep or correct the point value.
Excessive points can occur in the following situations:
- The amount entered is 50% above the total points possible
- An extra digit is entered (e.g. 500 instead of 50)
- An assignment is given negative points
To edit an existing score in the Gradebook, click the assignment cell for the score and enter the new score. Then press Return (on a MAC keyboard) or Enter (on a PC keyboard).
To manually delete a score from the Gradebook, click the assignment cell for the score and click the delete key. Then press Return (on a MAC keyboard) or Enter (on a PC keyboard).
View Deleted Score
View the deleted score and the ungraded submission.