How do I manage Subject Navigation as an instructor?
This lesson applies to users at institutions that have enabled the Canvas for Elementary user interface.
As an instructor, you can control which tabs appear in Subject Navigation. Canvas includes a set of default tabs that are shown by default and cannot be renamed. However, you can choose to reorder or disable subject tabs. Depending on your course configuration, other tabs may be available and customizable.
Links to tabs that don't have any content and that students cannot create content for will be automatically hidden for students and will display the Visibility icon to instructors in Course Navigation. Configured External Apps may create additional subject tabs.
- The Groups tab displays for instructors by default. However, students can only view the Groups tab if the subject includes at least one active group.
- If the Grades tab is disabled in a subject, grades for that subject do not display in the homeroom Grades tab. If the Grades tab is disabled for all subjects, the Grades tab does not display in the homeroom.
- A subject's Resources tab is automatically hidden when external apps have not been added to the subject and content has not been added to Important Info.
- If you disable an external tool from Subject Navigation, the LTI button no longer displays in the subject's Resources tab.
In Global Navigation, click the Subjects link . Then select the name of the course you'd like to manage .
If the subject does not display on the Subjects list, you can view all of your courses by clicking the All Subjects link .
Click the Manage Subject button.
View the Subject Navigation Menu . To learn more about using the subject links, view the Canvas Instructor Guide.
To manage the menu, click the Settings link .
Click the Navigation tab.
Drag and Drop Navigation Links
You can use the drag and drop option to reorder items in Subject Navigation. Click the subject tab you would like to move. Drop it in the desired location by releasing the mouse.
Move Navigation Links
You can also use the Move To option to reorder items in Subject Navigation. To move a subject tab, click the Options icon  and select the Move link .
Note: The Move To option only moves a subject tab within its respective section (visible or hidden). Hidden items must first be enabled before they can be ordered among visible navigation items. A hidden item cannot be moved directly to the enabled link section using the Move To option.
Place Navigation Link Location
In the Move Navigation Item sidebar, click the Place drop-down menu . Select the placement of the navigation item you are moving . You can move the item so it is located at the top of the list, before a specific navigation link, after a specific navigation item, or at the bottom of the list.
Place Before or After
If you selected the Before or After option, click the second drop-down menu . Select the navigation item that should be before or after the tab you are moving, as indicated by the option selected in the previous menu .
If you want to move the navigation item to another location, change the sidebar placement options as needed.
Move Navigation Item
Click the Move button.
Hide Navigation Links
To hide a subject tab, click the item's Options icon  and select Disable .
You can also drag and drop the link to the hidden section at the bottom of the page.
Enable Navigation Links
To enable an item in the hidden section , click the Options icon  and click the Enable option .
You can also drag and drop the link above the hidden section.
Click the Save button.
View Subject Navigation
View Subject Navigation tabs. Subject tabs display in the same order you have designated in Settings .
- Hidden navigation items will not display tabs in the subject. As an instructor, you can access hidden navigation items in Subject Navigation by clicking the Manage Subject button .
- If you have disabled a tab for an external tool, that tab will not display and is hidden to all course users, including instructors in Subject Navigation.