How do I select a grade posting policy for an assignment in the New Gradebook?
In the New Gradebook, you can select a grade posting policy for an individual assignment.
Posting policies can be set to automatic or manual. If you select an automatic posting policy, assignment grades will be visible to students as soon as they are entered. Anonymous and moderated assignments cannot be set to post grades automatically.
If you select a manual posting policy, grades will be hidden by default and will remain hidden until you have posted grades for the assignment. Selecting a manual posting policy will not apply retroactively to grades that have already been entered. Any grades that have already posted will remain visible. To hide grades for an assignment that has already been graded, you can hide grades from the assignment's Options menu.
When assignment grades are hidden, students will not see their grade for the assignment, grade change notifications, or submission comments.
You can also set a grade posting policy for a course. Assignment-level posting policies will override course-level policies for that assignment.
- If you make changes to an assignment with hidden grades, the total score as you see it (in both the Gradebook and the student Grades page) will be affected. However, students will not see any changes when they view their Grades page. Once you post the assignment grades, the total grade in the student's view will update accordingly.
- Grades for anonymous or moderated assignments must be manually posted. Moderated assignments grades cannot be unhidden until final grades have been posted.
- Students can see peer review comments when assignment grades are hidden. However, students cannot see instructor comments until after the assignment grades are posted.
- If you post grades for an assignment with varied due dates, all students will receive score results at the same time.
- Viewing the Total Column in the Gradebook may be restricted when multiple grading periods are enabled.
- Students will not be able to see their quiz responses in Quizzes while quiz grades are hidden.
- Enabling a posting policy will not affect a student's ability to access their assessment scores in New Quizzes. Student visibility of New Quizzes scores must be managed from the assessment settings menu.
In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.
Open Assignment Menu
Hover over the assignment column header and click the Options icon.
Open Posting Policy
Click the Grade Posting Policy link.
Post Grades Automatically
To post grades automatically, select the Automatically option. When the Automatically option is selected, students can view assignment grades as soon as they are entered.
- Anonymous and moderated assignments cannot be set to post grades automatically.
- If you select the Automatically Post Grades option after you have already hidden grades, previously hidden grades will remain hidden.
Post Grades Manually
To post grades manually, select the Manually option. When the Manually option is selected, grades are hidden by default and must be posted to be viewed by students.
To apply changes to the grade posting policy, click the Save button.
When a manual posting policy has been applied to an assignment, the assignment header displays the Manual label . This label indicates that a manual posting policy is currently in place and future grades are hidden from student view.
Once a submission has been graded, the assignment header displays the Visibility icon . This indicates that there are grades within the assignment that must be posted before they can be viewed by students.
When grades are hidden from student view, the Total column also displays the Visibility icon . This indicates that the total grade in the Gradebook differs from the total grade viewed by the student.
To manage the default posting policy for a course, click the Settings icon .