How do I add conditional content to a MasteryPath source item?
MasteryPaths release conditional content to students based on scoring-range rules. After the source assignment or assessment is graded (either manually or automatically), the student’s score designates which conditional item(s) are assigned as a learning path. For instance, a student who scores above 90% on an assignment could be assigned more advanced work, while a student who scores below 60% could view assignments designed for content clarification and improvement. Please note that resubmitted source items may affect conditional paths, as updated grades may change the conditional assignments released to the student.
Any graded assignment, graded discussion, or graded quiz may be used as the source content for a MasteryPath.
Any course item except for practice quizzes and ungraded surveys may be designated as a conditional item in a MasteryPath.
A MasteryPath should originate from an assignment assigned to everyone, such as a pre-test or an introductory assignment.
Once you have added conditional content to a MasteryPath source assignment, you must differentiate each conditional assignment for MasteryPaths.
- Because content pages do not require grading, content pages cannot be used as a MasteryPath source item and can only be added as conditional content. However, a page must be allowed for MasteryPaths before it can be added to a conditional path.
- If conditional items are added to a path and later changed (such as separating conditional items in the same range or adding another item), the change will not apply to any students who have already been graded based on the original conditional path. Conditional items should be final when course content is published.
- As conditional items are released to students, individual due dates for items are not applied. To add a due date to conditional items, wait until all students have completed the source assignment and then add a due date to the conditional item.
- Conditional content items can be set up with their own conditional items.
- All module items should be published before the course is available to students. If an unpublished item is added as a conditional content item, the student will not be able to view the content until the item is published. Any publishing delays may have unintended consequences for the student's conditional path.
- MasteryPaths is currently a course opt-in feature. To enable this feature, learn how to manage feature options in the course features lesson.
In Course Navigation, click the Modules link.
Locate the item where you want to add a MasteryPath and click the Options icon . Click the Mastery Paths option .
Note: Items that cannot originate a MasteryPath, including content pages and non-graded items, will not display the MasteryPaths settings option.
View Conditional Range
The assignment grade display and point value are shown at the top of the MasteryPath page .
The MasteryPaths tab displays three ranges for conditional content . The ranges match the grade display set for the assignment—points, percentage, letter grade, or GPA. The ranges default to 70%, 40%, and 0% of the assignment’s point value . rounded up respectively. For instance, an assignment worth 25 points defaults to ranges of 25–18 points, 18–10 points, and 10–0 points.
Set Conditional Range
Each range can be customized to a range outside the default values. To adjust a range, click the value and enter the new conditional range.
Note: Range values must be set in order from highest to lowest. Empty values are not allowed.
Add Items to Range
Select the range where you want to add conditional content items and click the Add button.
Any existing course item that can be used in a MasteryPath can be added as conditional content.
In the content window, you can search for content by name in the Search field , or filter items by type using the All Items drop-down menu . If a content item does not display in the content window, the item cannot be added as a conditional release item.
- When sorting by type, you must add an item from a type before selecting another type.
- The content window only displays supported items for conditional content. Practice quizzes and ungraded surveys are not supported as conditional items.
- Pages will not display as a conditional item unless the page was previously edited to be included as a MasteryPath item.
To add a content item, select the checkbox next to the item . You can select multiple items at one time.
Click the Add Items button .
Add Additional Items
Select another range and add the appropriate content items . You can add up to three item groups to each range using existing items in a course as conditional items . Conditional items may be added in the form of individual item requirements for a student to choose from, or as a group of items a student must complete.
Note: An item may be added to more than one range. An item that is already added in the range will be crossed out in the content window.
Multiple conditional items within a range can be mixed and matched as individual items, grouped items, or both. Items can also be reordered within the range by dragging and dropping in the preferred order .
You can also edit an item, move an item, or delete an item from the item's options menu .
Set Student Choice Option
When more than one conditional item is added to the same range, the items default to be completed together as indicated by the And (ampersand) button . Students who complete the assignment and score in a range with joined assignments must complete all the assignments in the conditional path.
If you want to give students a choice between assignments in a path, a range's items can be set to complete only one item or group in the path. To create a path option, click the And button. The items will separate and the And will change to an Or button . Students who complete the assignment and score in a range with an Or designation can select which item(s) to complete as part of the conditional path. To help select an assignment path, students will be able to view the descriptions of each assignment.
When you are finished adding conditional items, click the Save button.