How do I share my desktop in a conference as a presenter?
As a presenter, desktop sharing allows you to share your screen with other participants in the Conferences interface. Moderators are most often the presenter, but presenters can also be participants who are invited to be a presenter, such as a participant invited to be a guest speaker. Moderators can allow any participant to be a presenter at any time.
Desktop sharing is supported on all major browsers with either Java or WebRTC (web real-time communication).
By default, the desktop sharing process runs as a Java application, which runs outside your browser by launching a Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP) file called screenshare.jnlp.
- The Java application must be downloaded and run each time you want to share your desktop. As part of the download process, the Conferences interface displays a set of images that guide you through the download specific to your operating system (Mac or PC) and browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari).
- You can pause screen sharing at any time.
- Users presenting on a PC can choose the screen sharing area in their desktop. Users presenting on a Mac share the entire desktop window by default.
- If you have trouble installing the Java file, you may need to update Java to the most recent version.
Chrome and Firefox browsers support WebRTC sharing, which provides a built-in browser screen sharing experience.
- WebRTC requires installing a browser extension before sharing your screen as a presenter and is supported for Chrome and Firefox. The extension only has to be installed one time per browser.
- WebRTC does not support pausing screen sharing, but screen sharing can easily be enabled again at any time.
- Regardless of your computer operating system, WebRTC allows you to share your entire screen or a specific application window.
Open Desktop Sharing
In the menu bar, click the Share Desktop icon.
Select Java Screen Share
To select Java screen sharing, click the Java button.
View the overview of the download process; the overview is specific to your operating system and browser. If you want to view a video about installing the Java application, click the Help icon . The tutorial page will open in a new browser window.
Once you download and run the application, your desktop will be shared automatically. When you are ready to start the download, click the Start button .
Select Region (PC Only)
If you are using a Windows machine (PC), you can select your entire screen or a specific region of your screen. If you choose to select a region, use the double-sided arrows to drag and re-size the sharing window . You can also use your mouse to click and drag the border of the red and white box to move the selection area . When you have selected the region you want to use, click the Start Sharing button .
Java confirms you are sharing your desktop. To close the confirmation window, click the OK button.
The Presenter's Preview window shows the window you are sharing as the presenter.
To pause sharing your desktop, click the Pause button .
To stop sharing your desktop, click the Stop button .
Note: If you stop sharing and need to share again, you will have to repeat the file download process.
Select WebRTC Screen Share
To select WebRTC screen sharing, click the WebRTC button.
Note: If WebRTC is not supported in your browser, the WebRTC option is not available to you.
If the extension has not been installed for your browser, the Screen Sharing window displays a link to install the browser extension. Once the extension has been installed, you can retry the screen sharing.
When the extension is installed, you can choose to share your entire screen or a specific application window.
By default, the Screen sharing window defaults to the Your Entire Screen tab . The extension will automatically select your primary screen . If you have more than one screen or desktop, you can select another screen if desired.
If you want to share a specific application window, click the Application Window tab . Then select the specific application you want to share. Applications are ordered by most recent access.
Click the Share button.
To stop sharing your desktop from the preview window, click the Stop button .
To stop sharing your desktop from the screen you are sharing, click the Stop sharing button .